I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help doing feather inlays..
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 24, 2018 06:09PM

Alright.. So.. I made the mistake of showing my mother some of the feather inlays on the photos section..

My question.. How do you guys go about applying them? Do the oils in the feathers need to be washed out first? Do you guys coat with colorfast to assure the epoxy doesnt fisheye? Is that even a concern? Lol as you can tell, i have no idea where to begin.. But luckily im a fly tyer, so i have alot of feathers...

Any suggestions, pointers, comments are welcome and appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help doing feather inlays..
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2018 07:22PM

Many put down a coat of CP first, and while still wet, then arrange the feathers and when dry, apply more CP before epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 07:22PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: August 24, 2018 08:09PM

Yes, the oil in some feathers can be an issue, but I've never tried to wash it out with soap or alcohol. Select the feather size and color that works aesthetically and trim as needed. If you'll be putting the feather on a wrap, make the wrap. Then put down a coat of CP regardless of whether you are mounting to a wrap or directly to the blank. When the CP is cured. test fit the feather, put down a coat of CP and quickly position the feather using a brush loaded with CP to move the feather as needed and smooth things out. When the CP has cured at two more coats of CP to well seal the feather. Finish with epoxy or spar.

Strongly recommend you practice on a spare blank or dowel before the real thing. Some feathers look great but just don't work - at least they don't for me. And some that seem iffy work well. Go figure.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---)
Date: August 24, 2018 08:23PM

id like to toss another question out there….is it required to have a coat of epoxy over a base thread, or can you use CP to get a smooth surface for the feather to adhere to ? im fixing to try my first inlay on my next build.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 24, 2018 09:51PM

I have never applied a feather inlay to thread that has not had CP already on it and dried. Might work, but I don't know. I think you need a hard finish which will allow the feather to move freely. Feather inlays are not as hard as they look. I have never washed feathers before; cannot understand how the feather could be washed and then look like it is pristine. I do as Don does. I'll only add that don't worry if you get a lumpy stub of a feather vein sticking out. After the first epoxy coat you can cut it off and then more coats of epoxy, sometimes 3 for me, and you'll never notice it.

Date: August 24, 2018 11:15PM

If you need to wash feathers, hit them with a jet of steam, it relaxs the babules and allows the feather to go back to its natural shape.. Trick i learned from making flies.. Best way it to boil water in a small pot, make a kettle spout with tin foil, works well.. You have to wash hackles that arent store bought.. Get the greese out...

The steaming process is used by alot in making salmon flies.. You know, the picture frame kind.. Like the jock scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 11:17PM by Anthony Unger.

Date: August 24, 2018 11:19PM

So the color perserver acts as a barrier essentially? Ive only made 2 rods so far.. Never even seen the stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 11:20PM by Anthony Unger.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 06:28PM

CP protects the original coloration of the feathers and thread. If you don't use CP with feathers they will come out almost black, certainly much less attractive. Same for snakeskin. It also provides a stable platform on which to put the inlay and when it dries, the feather will be secure. often inlays are better if done in several layers, so CP keeps the under layers in place while you top with another. When done and dry, wrap epoxy makes the inlays permanent and stunning in appearance. I usually have to use several coats of epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster