I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anybody know centerpins?
Posted by: Eric Zielinski (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2018 10:02PM

I'm scratching my head as I look at this rod.. I don't know center pins much and this is my first build.

I building on a two-piece Rainshadow XST.

I finished the top half with the recommended guide spacing and all looks great. I took a break waiting for my cork and wood to arrive and thought up a handle. Now I have my handle dry fitted but I fear the angle of the line to the first guide may be a little too steep.

I included a picture of the rod setup with the reel I'll be using which is 4-3/4 inches. The distance from where the line meets the reel to the guide is 18 inches.

I realized I was a guide short so I need to order another one. I believe that the closet to the reel is a 20 and was thinking of getting a size larger to decrease the angle a little bit.

Is any of this necessary? Should I just get another 10 for the third guide from the reel? Move the guides up slightly? Leave everything the way it is?

If any experienced builders would like to chime in, I'd appreciate it!

[ibb.co]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody know centerpins?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 21, 2018 11:00PM

The reel ACT'S as a fly rod reel , as it only "" holds"' the line, you don'r cast with it , past that I am like you it beets the heck out of me, saying that 29 inch's seem like a little close to
me, have you run the numbers from a a mfg . on center pin / float rod ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: August 21, 2018 11:49PM

Rainshadow recommends the last guide to be 121 inches from the tip.

I'm there, but I extended the length of the rear grip more than others likely would have as I have long arms and plan to keep the butt under my arm while fishing.

It seems like most rods that I've seen on the river have adjustable reel seats so it's hard to say how long the traditional rear grip is.

Date: August 22, 2018 12:49AM

Do a search on this web site about 2007 has your answer i think , center pin handles an guides should work

William Sidney
AK

mistake ..................................

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 09:46AM by Bill Sidney.

Sorry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 09:47AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 22, 2018 07:06AM

I build quite a few of them. For a 43/4" reel my stripper would be a size 20 Y-frame or a 16 KL-H. Mount your reel in the reel seat and lay the rod and reel on your bench. Measure out 26" from the center of the reel and put a mark. That's where your first guide belongs. Use the straight edge method to space the rest of your reduction guides between the stripper and the first guide on your tip section, should take 2 more.

Date: August 22, 2018 10:01AM

try in search above CenterPin Handle Length / Guide Spacing

William Sidney
AK

Date: August 22, 2018 10:29AM

Jay McKnight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I build quite a few of them. For a 43/4" reel my
> stripper would be a size 20 Y-frame or a 16 KL-H.
> Mount your reel in the reel seat and lay the rod
> and reel on your bench. Measure out 26" from the
> center of the reel and put a mark. That's where
> your first guide belongs. Use the straight edge
> method to space the rest of your reduction guides
> between the stripper and the first guide on your
> tip section, should take 2 more.

So instead of having the recommended 3 guides for the bottom half of the build, just do two? or do you mean two in addition to the 20?

My biggest issue is that the top half of the blank is done and epoxied already. I'm not sure I can add 3 guides without throwing off the spacing entirely, I'll be shortening the recommended reduction space by about 8 inches.

Date: August 22, 2018 11:04AM

What blank? I'll use 3 guides in the butt section of the 1562 and 2 guides in the 11'6 and shorter blanks. How long is your rear grip? What spacing and guides did you use on the tip section? i'm certain I've built something similar and can probably throw you a bone.

Date: August 22, 2018 01:31PM

Jay McKnight Wrote:
> What blank? I'll use 3 guides in the butt section
> of the 1562 and 2 guides in the 11'6 and shorter
> blanks. How long is your rear grip? What spacing
> and guides did you use on the tip section? I'm> certain I've built something similar and can
> probably throw you a bone.

I'm building on a XTS1562F. The center of my reel foot to the butt is 16.5 inches. I included some pictures of the guides with the rod loaded and straight. Pictured here are two guides, one is 30-3/4 inches from the center of the reel seat and I believe that the other is 92 inches from the tip.

Here is the guide spacing that I attempted to use as recommended by Karry from Batson. I reached out and was told that the preferred distance is 22-25 inches from reel to guide. I'm a bit past that but I want to say that it looks good.

1st XPTCFCG06 3.5"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8"
3rd XPTCFCG06 13.5"
4th XPTCFCG06 20"
5th XPTCFCG07 27.25"
6th XTCYTCG07 36"
7th XTCYTCG07 45.5"
8th XTCYTCG08 56"
9th XTCYTCG08 67"
10th XTCYTCG10 79"
11th XTCYTCG10 92"
12th XTCYTCG12 106"
13th XPTCVDTCG20 121"

[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]

Date: August 22, 2018 03:39PM

If it was me, I would replace the size 10 on the tip section with another 8. I would space the butt guides at 91", 103" and 115". You will need the 20, 16 and either the 10 or 12, whichever lays out better. This should put your stripper guide about 25" from the center of your reel. It might not be ideal, but in all honesty a 13' float rod is very forgiving and there's probably 1000 different ways you could space the guides and still get a rod that performs well. Tight lines.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 22, 2018 03:57PM

Hello Eric.

If you get RodMaker magazine, in the Volume 14, Issue 6 there is an article called "Centre Pinning Rods" penned by Domenic Frederico starting on page 22.

It may help.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 22, 2018 06:50PM

Eric,
I'm sure you're probably using braid right? Since you already have the top built and you made your rear grip about 3-4 inches longer than the recipe your in uncharted territory, with light braid the back end isn't as important as you think, years ago I built one using the guides you find on a casting rod, it fished just fine.

Posted by: Eric Zielinski (---)
Date: August 22, 2018 07:26PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> Eric,
> I'm sure you're probably using braid right? Since
> you already have the top built and you made your
> rear grip about 3-4 inches longer than the recipe
> your in uncharted territory, with light braid the
> back end isn't as important as you think, years
> ago I built one using the guides you find on a
> casting rod, it fished just fine.

Floating mono.. I have no idea how it will behave.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 23, 2018 10:19PM

Eric,
I know both Jay McKnight and Domenic Frederico very well. Both know what they are talking about.
You can take what they have to say to the bank.
Herb

Date: August 24, 2018 05:38PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
> Eric,
> I know both Jay McKnight and Domenic Frederico
> very well. Both know what they are talking
> about.
> You can take what they have to say to the bank.
> Herb

Thanks Herb. Truth is, what I say don't mean squat. BUT, if Dom says so, it is so, and I doubt anyone that's familiar with his work could disagree.

Posted by: Robert Nypaver (---.mnfd.qwest.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 09:07AM

Eric Zielinski Wrote:
> Rainshadow recommends the last guide to be 121
> inches from the tip.
>
> I'm there, but I extended the length of the rear
> grip more than others likely would have as I have
> long arms and plan to keep the butt under my arm
> while fishing.
>
> It seems like most rods that I've seen on the
> river have adjustable reel seats so it's hard to
> say how long the traditional rear grip is.

Eric,

I build mostly centerpin rods and I too have long arms, being 6'3". On most of my 13' centerpin rods, my stripper guide is 114 1/2" from the tip. I made this adjustment mostly to accommodate my long arms when I Wallis cast and bring my left hand (I'm right handed) up to the stripper guide to follow through and guide the line when casting. BTW, I currently building on a Batson XST 1562 and that is the location of my stripper. I have had absolutely no problem with this spacing either when casting or when fighting fish.
here is the full spacing from the tip using Fuji BLYAG guides in a 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 8L reduction:
31/2"

13 1/2

27 1/4
45 1/2

66 3/4
77 3/4

89 1/4

101 1/2

114 3/4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 11:18AM by Robert Nypaver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster