I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing Decal Lift
Posted by: Christopher Ritter (172.58.201.---)
Date: August 19, 2018 07:29PM

Until today, I've always put a coat of epoxy on my blanks and then applied a decal with no problems. Today, for some mysterious reason, I put an MHX decal directly on the blank and, surprise!, the edges lifted during the drying process. Now I have about 1/16" of the decal sticking out of my first coat of epoxy. So.......I understand how this problem was created, but how should I fix it? Cut the edges off with a razor, scuff with progressively finer bits of sandpaper and apply another coat of epoxy?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing Decal Lift
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 20, 2018 02:39AM

Read this post: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 20, 2018 02:39AM

Double posting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 02:40AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Christopher Ritter (172.58.201.---)
Date: August 20, 2018 07:23AM

Terje, thanks for the link but that thread talks about fixing issues with future decals. I'm looking for tips on what to do now to fix my label which has already been applied and has its first coat of epoxy.

Date: August 20, 2018 07:36AM

I had the same problem as you,with edges on two rods. What I did one rod was cutting the edge with razor blad and put on so much epoxy ( actually two three coats) to make sure I did not hit the decal when sanding afterwards, and when the decals was covered I sanded away some epoxy until I got a round fine surface and applied epoxy a last time. On the second rod I skipped cutting with the razor blade and only applied enough epoxy to sand and recoat. This was the easiest way to make it "perfect"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 09:49AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Christopher Ritter (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 21, 2018 08:16AM

I used a fresh razor to slice off the edge that was sticking up but I made sure to clean off all of the oil on the razor before cutting. A fresh coat of epoxy has been applied and all is well. Thanks Terje, for your help.

Re: Gudebrod rod restorer finish
Posted by: David Parker (---)
Date: August 22, 2018 11:47AM

Now that Gudebrod has passed into history, I am trying to find a replacement for their product called Rod Restorer. It was an acrylic liquid when coated on an old graphite rod blank, produced like new finishes.
I have searched many places with no results. IMO, it was a great product for use in my rod repair business and I would love to find a replacement if any exists.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Parker
Certified Professional Rod Builder
www.fliesrodreelservice.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster