I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Full Grip vs Split Grip
Posted by: Brandon Smith (---.midco.net)
Date: August 16, 2018 05:07PM

Hey everyone,
Im wondering what are peoples thoughts on full handle grips vs. split handle grip, especially for longer rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Full Grip vs Split Grip
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 16, 2018 05:34PM

If you don't use a rod holder a split is good on either spinning or casting tube type of holders work well with either Jmo

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: August 16, 2018 09:41PM

I like the feel and looks of split grips and they're lighter.

Posted by: Kevin Althoff (45.52.37.---)
Date: August 16, 2018 11:47PM

I always HATED split grips until I started building. I don't get so involved with this hobby as to start making my own grips. Building rods with split grips gives you a lot more flexibility in your grip design using ready made components. This is especially true if you, like me, need a longer rear grip (tall fisherman, long rod or both) but don't want a fat 1.1" piece of cork back there that costs you 25$. Split grips also add opportunities for custom touches that a full grip won't allow, so you can have a little fun with that space between the butt and the reel seat or just buy a couple cheap winding checks and call it a day.

Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.genuinetel.com)
Date: August 17, 2018 08:43AM

The trend is toward split grips but I'm a little old school, I like full cork. I asked one of the owners of St Croix rods what the appeal was for split grips and we discussed weight and application.

Long rods, heavy weights, there is an argument for a split grips - but for small lighter rods, the weight factor is a little weak, IMO. He said that they weighed the difference and split grips are only a few grams lighter, on average, than full cork. Now we're talking the small lightweight spinning and jigging rods, small cork handles, etc.

I'm going to build a few split grips for my 7' bass rods and a guy wants me to build him a winn split grip as well. Who knows, maybe I'll like the splits for the longer rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 08:44AM by Rod Siemens.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (159.100.164.---)
Date: August 17, 2018 09:56AM

Don't forget cost, 10 rings of quality cork equals $25.00, 20 rings equals $50.00.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 17, 2018 12:42PM

Even though cork is expensive, I still prefer the use of a full cork grip.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 17, 2018 03:37PM

On heavier duty stuff like catfish, Alabama rig, swimbait and musky along with trilling rod I prefer full length grips regardless of material on most everything else I go split grip ( mostly bass as that is 99% of what I build)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 17, 2018 07:40PM

Roger and Thomas, please explain why you prefer what you prefer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 17, 2018 10:30PM

Pretty simple,
When handling a rod, casting and reeling in, I like to have only cork under my hand and within reach of my hand.

Often, I will be doing 2-handed casting. In case you haven't tried two handed casting, give it a try, even with a bass or a short rod. You will find that you can vastly increase the tip speed of your rod as well as increase the resulting casting distance.

Also, after a long time on the water, I will want a change and I like to move my hand down the rod for a change. With a full grip, there is still a grip to hold.

Also, from time to time, I will use a rod holder for my rod.

With a full grip - no issue with a rod holder.

With a split grip - depending on the rod holder, it may be a big issue. At the very least, the non grip part of the rod butt can end up rubbing against the rod holder.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 17, 2018 10:53PM

Full length grip vs split grip is personal choice. Another thing that makes a custom rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 17, 2018 11:40PM

Trolling rods are generally in rod holders, not the best recipe for split grips. Many documented failures of split grip rods in holders. See past posts of Bill Stevens . For the others I like to tuck the longer handle under my arm and simply prefer the way it feels. Many cat rods are in holders as the trolling rods. Cat guys are very rough on equipment and the exposed blank crashing around in a holder is only inviting a problem.

For most of my bass builds I try to make them as absolutely light as I can for the most efficient rod I can build. For some flip, punch rods and some heavy cover pitch rods it’s a toss up between the two.

These are my preferred methods and reasons. Some like and some don’t but as been mentioned it is up to the end user and it is another reason for customs.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2018 11:46AM

Roger and Thomas , thanks for the info. Roger, yes, I cast with two hands all the time, but feel no preference between the two styles while casting. I don't mind the smooth smaller diameter of the split grip when I contact it. I seldom use rod-holders, so that doesn't influence my decision. I prefer split grip for cost, styling, and that it offers another area on the blank for info/decals. Since the really small mass increase of the added cork on a full grip is where it is, it is insignificant in my opinion. thanks again.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 18, 2018 07:38PM

Im my experience fishing with store bought rods, ive found that split grips are more sensitive, alteast they seem that way to me.. I dont want this to start the age old argument, but i think the more you add material to a blank, the more sensitivity is lost.. The resonance of a strike, of tapping bottom, or rocks, etc. Is lost a little in material.. An extreme example of what im talking about is take a row boat for instance... You feel all the little waves while on the water.. You cant feel nearly as much if your on say, a cruise ship.. (Bad example i know) i have only built 1 rod. And am about to coat the threads on my second.. Both are splits, with that in mind, split grips make is a bit harder to balance your rod, unless your looking for a fairly long handle.. You can add weight to the end of the blank for counterbalance, but the defeats the purpose making a rod as light as you can, and goes right back to adding more materials.. It is nice to have the rear area for more decorative wraps as well..

I prefer splits over full.. Both have they're downfalls and advantages though.. I would build to whatever your application calls for..

If your going to be building a rod that doesnt have alot of fancy stuff going on, i feel a split grip gives the rod a more skilled appearance as they look harder to do from someone who doesnt realize how easy they are.. But then again, when you go full custom on cork, like checkerboards and stuff...

Rods should be as functional as they are aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 19, 2018 10:15AM

It's all about personal preference. For me, I like a full cork grip on my crankbait rods. On a spinning rod for finesse fishing though, I like the split grips solely because this gives me the ability to balance the rod to minimize hand fatigue. I will fit the split grip, reel seat, reel and guides (taped on) and find where my reel seat should be to give me a balanced rod. When drop shotting or shakey head fishing all day, this makes a difference for me. That's my $.02.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster