I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mb736 or sj736
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 16, 2018 11:57AM

Does anyone have real world in hand comparisons of these two Northfork x Ray blanks? ( X-ray mb736 or X-ray sj736) I am looking for the one with the most power. Before you say call Northfork I’ve tried that but wasn’t able to speak to anyone when I called.

Thanks for your time and help
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mb736 or sj736
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 16, 2018 12:36PM

so tell me something about Northfork

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 12:37PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: August 16, 2018 03:55PM

They have responded back pretty quickly through Facebook messenger. I have been looking at those x rays. Just wish that they had more models available because there is a big jump from 3 to 6 power. Rodhouse in France has some info about those blanks on their site.

Date: August 16, 2018 05:03PM

Thanks David,

I will check it out.

Tom

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 16, 2018 05:55PM

Just looking at the spec given, it appears that that the SJ736 is more powerful than the MB736.
SJ736 power - H; line wgt - 10-17 lb; lure wgt - 1/4 - 1 oz; butt - .57”
MB739 power - MH; line wgt - 8-16 lb; lure wgt - 1/4 -3/4 oz; butt - .49”
Norm

Date: August 16, 2018 06:10PM

Heck, buy both of them. If you buy both you get 65% off and free shipping with the sale that is currently going on. Both would cost $175 buying one would cost $125. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Norm

Date: August 16, 2018 06:37PM

Norm, it is their specs that spurred my question. Generally a mb compared to a sj of similar power has oomph. But that is why I ask.

Thanks again
Tom

Date: August 16, 2018 07:25PM

They are brand new so I suspect very few people have had hands on experience with both. So basically all you have to go on is the specs given by NFC and they clearly indicate that the SJ is more powerful. In my experience when comparing MB vs SJ blanks with the same power number in the model designation, both are similar in power with the SJ having a faster action. I personally prefer the faster action. As I mentioned above, buy both, it’s the best way to find out for sure which one will fit your needs the best. One can never have enough rods! Where else can you get a high end blanks for $87.50 each with free shipping. I am sure you will have no problems getting rid of the one that doesn’t fit your needs. Go for it and let us know what you think about them.
Norm

Date: August 16, 2018 08:29PM

Thanks Norm, I will probably try each. Regarding never having too many rods... with over 100 built in the house and about 50 blanks... I think I am getting close. It’s a good thing I have a very understanding wife!!

Thanks
Tom

Date: August 17, 2018 09:44AM

Looks like their SJ 732 has more power than the MB 733. Might have to check it out. Already ordered a Delta MB 664. Looking to build a spin rod faster and a little stronger than my P703 good for light plastics and jigs for bass, specs and up to upper slot redfish.

Date: August 17, 2018 12:27PM

So I understand like you Tom, decisions decisions can rack your brain.

Date: August 17, 2018 12:28PM

So I understand like you Tom, decisions decisions can rack your brain.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 17, 2018 12:42PM

The easy solution to your issue is to build one of each.
Then, you will have the best of both worlds.

Date: August 17, 2018 03:33PM

Well problem solved. I ordered the mb 736 x Ray sj736 X-ray and delta sj706

Posted by: carol staiculescu (107.190.36.---)
Date: October 09, 2018 09:22AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well problem solved. I ordered the mb 736 x Ray
> sj736 X-ray

So Thomas, can we have your feedback on the matter? What's the deal with those blanks , what do you think about them? You will do our life easier when it comes to choosing between those 2 blanks.
Of course, anybody else is more then welcomed to answer if they had the chance to try them out.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Date: October 10, 2018 10:17PM

Carol,
Unfortunately I have not had the chance to do much with them. My work and tournament schedule has kept me far more busy than I would like. I will be able to measure them out and build them up next week.

Thanks
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster