I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping question
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 11, 2018 09:13AM

I was expecting an item though a shipper today to use tomorrow.

I was tracking its progress from its source and was transferred from one carrier to another in St. Louis.

It appeared that it was on its way and indicted that it was in the area receipt point yesterday.

It should have gone out for local delivery yesterday, but on the tracking screen, a red screen popped up and there are two statements

The first statement says ---- missent

The 3nd statement says --- mis-shipped.

This is on a Red screen with a large word that says -- EXCEPTION

------------------
From what I am reading I assume that the item cane into the regional office and was likely transferred to the wrong truck so that it went some where other than its intended destination ???

Just wondering if any one has ever seen such a message on a tracking message for an item to be used.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 11, 2018 10:11AM

Yes I have, I see mis sent packages on the trucks from time to time, maybe one every other week.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2018 02:00PM

Yea I have had my share of misplaced packages. One wound up in New Jersey (I live near Seattle).

But, with rod building, I keep a good stock of blanks, thread and supplies so I basically do not have to order anything to build a rod. I buy well in advance of rod building time.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 11, 2018 02:15PM

they all make mistakes , at least they told about it in a timely manner,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 11, 2018 04:27PM

I chatted with my local post office this morning.
Apparently, the package was shipped from the area post office to one suburb over. Then, it was shipped back to the area post office. So, it will come back out on Monday's truck.

Take care

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 12, 2018 08:19AM

Hey John,
You and I compete for the most completed rods. My wife asks me why I keep building for myself - I tell her that they all have different personalities.

BTW - you probably fish salt water given your outfits.
If you use aluminum reel seats - they will be "eaten" away by galvanic corrosion if the reel is kept on the rod. Unless you wash and dry both before reassembling.
Herb

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 12, 2018 09:32AM

Yep, salt water. Maybe 20 more rods/reels in another rack.

The most used rods have Fuji seats. And I wash each rod & reel combo in hot soapy water after each trip. No corrosion anywhere. Reels come off every three or four months for service. The old metal seat rods are collectors, I do not use them. I have Penn reels over 40 years old, just take care of them and they will not corrode. I have several Penn 109 and 9 reels from around WWII that my dad used down in Florida. One of the 109's is on a Salmon Mooching Rod and gets regular use.

Anyway you wash the boat after each use, I have a couple of 5 gallon wash buckets with hot soapy water, it is a simple thing to wash up the rods & reels. And terminal tackle, wash it after each use and the hooks do not rust. I throw all the lures and terminal tackle in a soapy bucket when I am washing the boat, then rinse and dry.

I have a lot of blanks as Utmost, Pac Bay and Rainshadow are 10 miles from me. Utmost is great, Mick Batson usually has close out and overstocks from the makers, and the best finds are the prototype rods. All relatively inexpensive. But you have to visit the store and plunder through the rod racks to find the "prizes". Same thing with grips, seats, guides thread, etc. I have been out of rodbuilding for many years and am getting back into it, over the past 5 years I have been building up my inventory of blanks and supplies for my "golden retirement years".

High end reels like the ABU's, Avets, etc, are pulled off after each trip and thoroughly cleaned and lubed. They cost too much to let sit and corrode!

Posted by: Don Mang (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2018 02:11PM

I am just about to start getting equipment to start rod building. But I thought i'd chime in on corrosion. I fish saltwater mostly spin reels. I coat the whole reel inside and out, and metal guides with corrosion block grease ( it's water proof ) overnight. Than I wipe it down the next day, I do hose them down first. I collect and restore Mitchell reels. CORROSION BLOCK GOOD STUFF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster