I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Upping the Power on My Drop Shot Rig
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: August 10, 2018 11:09AM

So I had a few break offs yesterday while fishing, partly user error and partly because the rod I was using and drag combo just were not up to par for the conditions. I was fishing along weed edges of milfoil on a northern lake, with 12 pound braid and 8 pound flouro as the leader. My issue was not the 2-3 pounders, it was the 5 plus fish that were snatching and running with my drop shot and pulling enough drag before they were lost in the weeds. Now I know on this lake I really need to tighten down more on the drag in these conditions, and I am going to upgrade my spinning reel as well. BUT, I am currently using a pair of castaway blanks, which are Medium Light, super soft tip and a little bit of back bone down in the rod, but they really lose power when I am fighting fish over 3-4 pounds. I have noticed I am losing control of the bigger fish in these situations. Yesterday I lost two fish over 6 easy, which is heart breaking for any guy or gal in NY, cause that is not common. But because I love my drop shot, and am not looking to fish a drop shot on a baitcaster, I am looking to make a SLIGHTLY stouter drop shot rod for fishing these conditions.

I am looking at more of a Medium powered rod, possibly a Moderate Fast Action, I still want the sensitivity in the tip, and because I am using finesse hooks (thin wire), I am not looking for a stiff rod. I like the Mod Fast action in a slightly more powerful rod. I think this will allow me to control the fish a bit more in and around grass edges and scattered. What blanks do you guys recommend, no problem with cutting down a blank if need be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upping the Power on My Drop Shot Rig
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 11:56AM

I would highly recommend the Rainshadow Immortal S610MXF. That has been my go to blank for Drop-Shotting. While I live in So. Cal., we deal with the same situation as you described ....turning 5+ lb bass before they get into the weeds. The Rainshadow IMMS610MXF has a great tip and plenty of back bone to turn the fish. I fish 10 lb braid with a 8 lb top shot and have not had difficulties turning fish. I even picked up a 9 lb 4 oz lmb on this set up. Naturally I had to back off the drag after I got it into deeper water. I have build probably 15 - 20 D/S rods on this blank and all of the customers love it and have passed on their recommendations to other clients. If you're interested in picking one up give Carol a call at Upmost Enterprises, (a sponsor on the left). They only charge the actual expense on the shipping and they are only around the corner from Batson Enterprises, (distributor of the Rainshadow line of blanks).

Here are the specs on the IMMS610MXF:

IMMS610MXF Titanium Chrome 6'10" 1 6-14lb. 3/16-1/2oz 0.380 4.0 XF M 1.8oz. Drop shot/Shakey head/Finesse

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 12:02PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: August 10, 2018 01:53PM

Great response man! 9 pounder wow.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 10, 2018 06:24PM

ETES610MXF-SS from Batson, from St. Croix 5s610mlxf

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 08:26PM

Question first .......... do you need the 8# leader to get bit? I ask because, and it's just my opinion here, but I don't see a medium power, mod fast action being much different from what you're using right now. There's not a whole lot of back bone in that type of blank. Were it me, I would look to the 2 blanks that Don and Thomas mentioned.

If you're kind of set on mod fast action, I'd be looking at medium heavy power. I'm thinking maybe the Immortal IMMP70MH would fit the bill.

Oh and I'd also try upping your leader to 10 or 12# test. Usually, around my part of northeast Ohio, I can get away with heavier line when fishing weed edges. Out in open water it;s a different story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:31PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 09:45PM

Jay,
Try another thing.

Tie your drop shot rig directly to the braid. Really not much need for the leader except in some very unique situations.

Floro leader has some great qualities but lack of stretch is not one of them. Floro stretches quite a bit.

Just take your current rod, tighten down the drag to near the breaking strength of the line. Then, when you get bit, so a set, but then keep the rod tip down and just reel like crazy.

Don't use the rod tip to fight the fish, rather, with a tight drag just use your elbow to fight the fish.

Remember, with the drag really tight, if you lift the rod too high you may run the risk of breaking the rod. But, if you keep the rod pointed straight at the fish and then just reel like crazy to work the fish and your elbow to keep it hooked up you will be able to land 30 lb fish on that rod.

Or, if you really get into a big fish, just toss the rod into the boat, grab the line and hand line the fish into the boat.

Often the light tip of the drop shot rod is needed to get the bite, but then it works against you when trying to boat the fish. So, just take the tip and softer section of the rod out of the equation when working the fish.

I know that a friend of mine landed a 15 lb muskie while ice fishing on an ultra light rod. He just kept the tip of the rod pointed the fish and used his arm, shoulder and elbow to bring the fish to heel.

Sure, you can go to a heavier rod, but often that takes a lot of enjoyment out of the outing.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 10:01PM

The good thing about St. Croix is you handle and test a finished rod at your closest quality sporting goods store before you decide on a blank.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.76.---)
Date: August 11, 2018 04:24PM

I tried out the Immortal popping rod blanks in the heaviest version they offered and i returned it immediately because it was like what i consider an ultra light blank in feel and diameter & the action was not nearly stiff enough for my liking. I am used to the St.Croix medium & medium heavy rated blanks so when i checked out a Rod Geeks blank it was identical in feel and action to what i prefer and what i had been used to.

Thats because Rod Geeks blanks are essentially St. Croix blanks made with the same materials and processes with the difference being they're made in St. Croixs Fresnillo Mexico facility instead of Croix's Park Falls Wisconsin factory. They don't offer nearly as many model's and lineup's but RodGeeks blanks if you find a length and action you prefer is a great choice because they're also considerably cheaper than St. Croix labeled blanks and come in far more color choices.

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---)
Date: August 11, 2018 06:36PM

i would try increasing your leader size to say, 10# gamma copolymer, and tighten the drag a bit. the one issue with light wire hooks is that if you have the rod /reel set up to get the fish out of the grass, the hook will bend with a braid main line, from what I' ve experienced. you may want to experiment with a heavier wire 'circle' or octopus hook. just my 2 cents

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2018 07:58PM

Jay,

I would look hard at the Batson and St. Croix Medium Power Extra Fast action blanks, as mentioned. Either that or 'bubba shot' them which you mentioned you do not want to do. The tips on those blanks are very soft like a ML tip, but the rods quickly lock up in the midsection with a surprising amount of power. Tighten up that drag just a bit and go to work.

Dave,

Good to see you still around!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 12, 2018 03:25PM

If you check out the finished St. Croix rods, check both the spinng and casting versions of the ex. fast mentioned above. The blanks are not identical and you can use whatever one you like best for your build.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: August 12, 2018 06:48PM

I really like the mlf St. Croix blanks. I personally use the 7’6 models since I mainly use them for Great Lakes smallmouth. If your that close to weeds I’d say go straight braid or up your leader size

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2018 09:42AM

This MHX Drop shot Blanks was designed for the very purpose you mentioned - [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You!!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: John Shear (---.ams.hpecore.net)
Date: August 15, 2018 05:41PM

My preference is the St Croix Medium X-Fast blanks like 3S68MXF. I started with a ML X-Fast but it was way too whimpy to jerk a bass up out of the weeds or away from cover in a timely manner. I'm not into playing around with the fish.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster