I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building tools and supplies
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (104.129.194.---)
Date: August 09, 2018 11:01AM

I'm finally starting my first rod building project. For my first rod I was going to build a casting rod for my son who is an avid bass fisherman. For this rod I was thinking of buying a kit from MudHole. For tools, I want to buy a manual wrapper and a few other things. I think I may go with the CRB line from MudHole.com but I'm also open to recommendations. On my list I have:

- Manual Wrapper (CRB HWS-1)
- Rod dryer - I was thinking of getting the 18RPM versus the 6RPM so I can also use it to apply the finish. I've read that the 6RPM is a little to slow.
- Epoxy mixer - because I'm lazy! Actually I've heard they can be pretty useful.
- Assortment of small tools and brushes etc.

MudHole also offers a packaged deal where you get the wrapper and dryer and a bunch of other tools, startup epoxies and finish etc. I'm sure it is discounted but I'm not sure if you can change components such as the dryer (they offer the 6RPM vs 18RPM in the package)

Thoughts on buying as a package versus individually?
Thoughts on the CRB hand wrapper and dryer? Would I be better served with one of the wood designed wrappers by Pac Bay or Flex Coat?

For my second rod I am planning on building a Sage Method 8wt. So the first rod is mostly for practice. I'll probably have more questions about components for the fly rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building tools and supplies
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 09, 2018 11:28AM

I made my own wrapper years ago, but it's similar in function to the one from Mudhole. Price looks good.

You don't need an epoxy mixer, at least I don't, and never have problems.

Add to your list a pack of single edge razor blades.

Don't forget reamers for the grip. They seem expensive at first, but make an otherwise difficult job easier.

I used the slow speed dryer for a long time and then swapped out the motor to the faster speed. Not a critical issue in my opinion.

I highly recommend you make a few more rods before taking on a really nice blank like the Sage. It's just too expensive to not get exactly right. You will find your work improves over a few rods. So build a cheap one for everyone in the family and then, build the Sage rod.

Have fun!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 09, 2018 11:54AM

when building RODS it is like being a baby you crawl first then walk , them run , so start slow then progress to running the marathon , start an finish with a cheep project first ,
after you finish it go for the GOLD , as was pointed out above , my 2 CTS.

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (104.129.194.---)
Date: August 09, 2018 01:55PM

Drew/Bill - Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely going to gauge my proficiency with rod building before I start on the Sage. I do a lot of woodworking and fly tying so I feel pretty confident with my detail skills etc. However, screwing up a $400 blank when you are applying finish would definitely be a bummer. I think I'll probably just order the MudHole package and then work on a couple of cheaper rods first.

Do you guys apply the finish in several lighter coats or a heavier coat? It seems lighter is better. At least from my wood finishing experience.

Thanks

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 09, 2018 02:31PM

I always use as many light coats as it takes. 2 being normal for me. Light to med. build finish. Do yourself a favor an put several wraps on a scrap blank. Try several different finishes on these wraps before choosing the one you like best. This may seem expensive at first, But you can buy small amounts of a few different brands with the money you save by not buying a mixer that you don't need. (IMO) Do a search on applying finish. (all dates) That will keep you busy until you get your order, or you get tired of reading, whichever comes first. Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 09, 2018 04:38PM

if you don't have any scraps use an old rod that is standing in the corner you will not hurt it , or hit some sales going on in your area / garage sales , one more time stores , goodwill,
, for broken rods [ ask could be in the back] , bubbles will be a big problem, along with prep ing feet of guides, an on your wraps to get them close to the same size

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.128.---)
Date: August 09, 2018 06:46PM

Another vote for 2 coats of thin epoxy. My favorite is Threadmaster lite. But Prokote is good, FlexCoat lite is good. All work perfectly well.

I probably built 10 rods that were under $100 per blank prior to building several St Croix SC V fly rods that are my primary rods that I fish. I even built some close-out blanks from Utmost that were like $30 and they turned into fine rods.

A source of surprisingly affordable and EXCELLENT blanks is Rod Geeks. Don't let the funny name scare you off. After several natural finish blanks, I finally built one of their custom color metallics and the finish is as good as any factory rod you will ever see. It's sparkly!. Really happy with those guys.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 09, 2018 10:42PM

Save the money on an epoxy mixer.

I have built an awful lot of rods and have always just used a dixie cup for mixing and a craft stick that has been made flat on the end. Use the flat side of the stick to wipe the edge of the dixie cup from time to time and also wipe the side of the stick from time to time. The result is that you never have any clean up and no wasted epoxy.

---
For practice, pick up a couple of OK rods from the good will or charity box, strip off the guide and then put them back on and also apply finish. You will have about $5 in the rod with its grip and guides and it will give you very good practice on your wrapping and thread finish at next to 0 cost.

Be safe

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2018 09:36AM

A shot glass almost makes a good thread epoxy mixing bowl, clean with DNA. I use a small spoon shaped spatula as a mixing tool.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2018 09:36AM

A shot glass almost makes a good thread epoxy mixing bowl, clean with DNA. I use a small spoon shaped spatula as a mixing tool.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 10:25AM

For mixing, I use craft sticks:

[www.walmart.com]

I use plastic 2 oz sample cups.

[www.walmart.com]

One mix and throw away.

When I apply finish, I use inexpensive disposable brushes.

[www.walmart.com]

At this price, each brush is 7 cents.

I see no point in cleaning and reusing these sorts of things. The cleaners tend to be toxic and messy and the disposable items work well and are very inexpensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 10:26AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 06:36PM

Mike,
If it was my first rod, and it was for an avid angler, I'd go for the MHX MB843 instead, he'll have a great time with it and won't outgrow it.

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---)
Date: August 10, 2018 06:48PM

Hey guys great advice. I am definitely going to start with scrap blanks and order a MHX rod kit for the first real rod.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster