I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quality Cork
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 01:19AM

Hi to all and thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully assist me with finding a source for top-tier cork rings. The run-of-the-mill cork rings and premade grips offered by numerous suppliers, including sponsors to the left, have been adequate for my previous builds and I have been satisfied. However, I have recently spent a substantial amount of money for a high quality bamboo blank and would prefer to adorn it with a complementary-quality cork grip.
It is difficult at best to distinguish hype from fact of the numerous cork suppliers researched thus far, thus why I am leaning on you experienced rod crafters to steer me in the right direction. While I would certainly prefer continuing to support those who support this site to the left, this particular build may deserve a broader base of vendors, hence my inquiry.
From a cost point of view, this will be a 12-14in Tennessee style grip which equates to 24 to 28, 0.5in wide rings (burnt cork accent rings to also be included). Obviously, the cost per each ring will add-up very quickly for such a long grip and I am self-admittedly a cheap bastard, but never to the extent where required quality is jeopardized. I cannot justify spending $4.00/ring, with $3.00/ring being my upper limit. I am hopeful in discovering a source for nice quality rings in the $2.00-2.50 range. While not absolutely necessary, availability of 0.25in rings as well as typical 0.5in wide would be a huge plus. Any OD > 1.0in with an ID of < 0.312 OK. If you prefer to be more discreet as to not offend any of the gracious vendors to the left, please feel free to contact me through my email address.
To be honest, I consider the typical imperfections in a cork grip to not only add to its charm, but overall grip-holding as well. But this particular cane rod is a little bit different to me though.
Thank you for your time, concern and assistance replies.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quality Cork
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 01:34AM

[www.goldenwitch.com]

[www.goldenwitch.com]

I haven't talked to these folks for a while, but if they are open, they have some of the best cork around:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 07:51AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2018 07:51AM

It's out there, sometimes from individuals. At the Expo this past year, there were bags of CG1 cork, absolutely, positively flawless, that were selling for about $1 per ring. Oddly, the gentleman said he didn't sell much of it.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 07, 2018 11:44AM

Sorry double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 11:57AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 07, 2018 11:44AM

Send a message to cork4 us in Portugal . Sponsor on the left.. His floor cork rings are good though he has a slightly more expensive and better flor + cork rings too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 11:57AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Date: August 07, 2018 03:21PM

Cork4Us.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 10:31PM

Thanks to the regulars who I have learned to be able to count on with their never-ending-flow of qualified assistance, Roger and Tom, but also a new name to me, Terje, as well. Unfortunately, my “Hype from fact” comment on the original post may have scared off replies from the cork suppliers. As previously stated, I got what I paid for with the previously purchased cork and was certainly satisfied. I would simply prefer to step it up a notch or two for this particular cane build.
Tom, excuse my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with the “CG1” cork rating. Actually, the entire cork rating system seems a bit wishy-washy and difficult to understand to me. Please advise if you care to do so. There may be others who are as confused as I am regarding cork ratings.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2018 01:54AM

from a sponsor on the left they are running a 20% off sale right now on cork
[www.anglersworkshop.com]
you can call them and they will give you the advice you want and the product you want very good people to deal with

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (172.69.23.---)
Date: August 08, 2018 03:32PM

Mark, in the Library there is a piece on the Rodmaker cork grading system, it would work if suppliers would use it!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (172.69.23.---)
Date: August 08, 2018 03:32PM

Mark, in the Library there is a piece on the Rodmaker cork grading system, it would work if suppliers would use it!

Date: August 08, 2018 09:49PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark, in the Library there is a piece on the
> Rodmaker cork grading system, it would work if
> suppliers would use it!

If every rod builder specified their desired grade by the system, and insisted on their dealers using, the dealers will start using it.

It sure takes the guesswork out of buying cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster