I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Carbon Fiber
Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2018 09:54PM

Anyone used these and how do they compare to CFX?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Carbon Fiber
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 12:51AM

Are you talking grips or rod blanks? You didn't say.

Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 06:37AM

Grips

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 10:05AM

I have bought and used the rear rear casting grips of both brands, and they are almost identical in appearance an performance. The CFX grips are very uniform in length, and I have noticed some variation in the length of the NFC grips but not a big deal. With the 1/2 price sale going on now, the NFC grips are less expensive and thus represent a better deal. At the same price it would be a toss up.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: August 07, 2018 07:15PM

I waited for three months to get my grips..... never got them, I finally cancelled my order. I had people who ordered them with their blanks. What they received was second hand at best. Grips were not bored on center, carbon sleeve was not cured smooth to the core. I.e. there were humps in what should have been a smooth cylindrical shape. On one of the rear split grips, the carbon sleeve completely separated while reaming( I was reaming by hand with a dream reamer so heat was not the cause).

Long story short go with cfx

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 07:45PM

Did not have the same experience as Thomas. The NFC grips did vary a little in length, but otherwise they were just fine and looked almost exactly like the CFX grips. Basically the only difference was that the NFC foam core was a little lighter in color. I PG coated them, the holes were centered, and they reamed just fine. I ordered four blanks and four grips on 10 July and got them within 4 or 5 days after ordering and they shipped from Washington to Mississippi. I call that pretty good service. The rear casting grips were $6 apiece making them a good buy. If I had previously heard of Thomas problems I may not have ordered them, but for me they were just fine. Don’t know if I was lucky or Thomas was unlucky.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 07, 2018 08:25PM

Thomas is not the only person with supply problems from NFC I don't know why but it can take some time to supply what you ordered , an they don't respond to E mails in a timely manner I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (108.162.216.---)
Date: August 08, 2018 10:56AM

Norman,

I found the Northfork grips have a slightly different taper. One that I prefer over the cfx but honestly it is not noticeable to many

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (108.162.221.---)
Date: August 08, 2018 01:08PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I waited for three months to get my grips.....
> never got them, I finally cancelled my order. I
> had people who ordered them with their blanks.
> What they received was second hand at best. Grips
> were not bored on center, carbon sleeve was not
> cured smooth to the core. I.e. there were humps in
> what should have been a smooth cylindrical shape.
> On one of the rear split grips, the carbon sleeve
> completely separated while reaming( I was reaming
> by hand with a dream reamer so heat was not the
> cause).
>
> Long story short go with cfx

It took about a month to get mine from NFC. The ones I got were bored but they were as Thomas has described. Not very symmetrical and bumpy, kinda rough.

Posted by: James Taylor (108.162.246.---)
Date: August 08, 2018 04:14PM

Just throwing it out there but here at Batson Enterprises we redeveloped out ForeCast Carbon Fiber grips and came out with quite a few new shapes (including a few fly) - [alpsforecast.com]
If they don't pass our inspection then it won't make it out the door to the end user.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: August 08, 2018 10:16PM

James could not ID the fly rod grips point me there, Thanks

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 09, 2018 10:28AM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
> James could not ID the fly rod grips point me
> there, Thanks

Here's the link to the fly grips: [alpsforecast.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 09, 2018 06:42PM

If I remember right the NFC First Strike grips have a layer of prepeg strips under the prepeg sleeve, thsy say it gets a better bond and virtually new pockets this way when they bake them. The Black Widow material is hand laid prepeg stips on a mandrel than baked.

Date: August 09, 2018 09:18PM

James Taylor ??? do you know any one that stock them ?? , or will they order as needed or drop ship as I would like to order some ,
with your knolage you might be able to help out

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 09:19PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 10, 2018 10:40AM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
> James Taylor ??? do you know any one that stock
> them ?? , or will they order as needed or drop
> ship as I would like to order some ,
> with your knolage you might be able to help out

Sadly doesn't look like anyone has them in stock, takes a bit to get the new items up on their sites - there's a few that sold out and are reordering. We are fully stocked, so our dealers can get them.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2018 11:46AM

Bill, Utmost is as close to you as you are going to get in the lower 48. In addition they only charge
actual freight cost, no handling, and as a really big plus are located within driving distance of
Batson and Pac Bay. In addition, Carol is VERY easy to deal with and will go the extra mile for you
as well as very good pricing. If honesty, service and good pricing are high on your list, you won't
do better. I am in New York and get my orders within 4 or 5 days, usual cost for shipping well under
$10.00 - cheaper than handling at any big box type places I've dealt with. Give them a call

Date: August 10, 2018 05:46PM

Have a call into them as I type with one finger thanks James & Robert

William Sidney
AK

Date: August 10, 2018 09:16PM

Up most will handle the order , so it is on order as I type with one finger , Bill

William Sidney
AK

Date: August 19, 2018 12:40AM

look at carbon fiber grips above for some information on the fiber grips

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster