I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anyone ever used Hydrographics on custom rods
Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: July 30, 2018 03:21PM

Anyone here ever used the hydrographic dip method to a rod blank? Will it hold up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone ever used Hydrographics on custom rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2018 03:33PM

RodMaker featured an article on this process some years ago, along with offering a seminar on how to do it at one of the Expo's.

How well it holds up depends on how the rod is handled. And it is always possible to clear coat over the hydro pattern to further enhance durability.

I'm sure there have been improvements/refinements to the process and materials over the past 10 or so years, however.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 30, 2018 05:43PM

Hello Tom.

The only one I could find was "HYDRO PRINTING" - "The ultimate custom blank coating!", in Volume 14 Issue 1 Page 22 "By Tom Kirkman".
Is that the only one Tom?

The article goes from pg. 22 too pg. 27.

Good article, but I do almost all 1 piece rods and the set-up and dipping for long rods is a little to much work and expense for me.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 30, 2018 09:33PM

That would be it. You can piece together wall-paper troughs to get enough length for your one-piece rods. They're not expensive.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 31, 2018 04:20PM

Hello Tom.

Thanks Tom.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 02, 2018 04:07PM

It is most likely also lighter than marbling. Sounds like a great idea.

Date: August 02, 2018 08:01PM

The weight would be absolutely negligible, at least until you decided to overcoat it with something.

Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: August 15, 2018 12:16PM

you can buy 10 ft gutter sections at lowes for under $8.00. Just put end caps on each end, and silicone them in place. Make a little wedge to keep it from rolling out of a 2x4 stud length ($3.00). So for around $11.00, you would be good to go. fill with water, leave in garage on warm day, until temp gets right, then dip away.

I actually work with a guy, who has a Hydrographics business as a side job, and he can dip car body panels, so I can get scraps for material, and a pool for next to nothing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster