I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on Reel Seat Selection
Posted by: Paul Wray (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 08:34PM

About to build first rod, and gathering components. How do I determine what Reel Seat size to purchase, especially if I dont have blank on hand at the moment.

Also, If i will be using on a 325-500 gram Jigging Rod, is a graphite reel seat acceptable, or should I go for all metal? Will be used exclusively in salt water.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on Reel Seat Selection
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 08:41PM

I don't know about the size but the graphite is better suited for salt water up to about 40 lbs line I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 10:54PM

Paul,
You want to use the reel seat that fits the hand as long as it is large enough to go over the rod blank.

Rod blanks are sold with butt diameter and tip diameter measurements. If the reel set will fit over the butt of the rod, it will fit over the blank further up the blank.

With smaller blanks - the typical reel seat is generally much larger than the rod blank and an arbor is used to fit between the blank and the inside of the reel seat.

Good luck

Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: July 30, 2018 02:18PM

Thanks for the replies. I found some youtube videos, which used the masking tape method, so this doesn't look to difficult now. Thanks!

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.tyrccmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 30, 2018 10:09PM

Reel seat arbors are superior to masking tape. Some reels fit some reel seat styles, sizes, and manufacturers better than others. I think the reel seat is often overlooked as a vital part of custom rod building. Reel seat size also matters for both. Nothing feels better than the perfect fitting reel seat that does not come lose and fits the hand perfect. What I have discovered, at least for me, the Fuji DPSD reel seats size 22 work great for spinning reels that would be used on that rod and Alps aluminum size 22 seats work well with most conventional jigging reels. Similar brands and styles should fit somewhat similar but I am reluctant to state that without knowing for sure. You can use a reel clamp without worry on an aluminum reel seat. I am conscious about how much I tighten a clamp on the graphite seats.

Posted by: Paul Wray (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2018 05:34PM

Thanks Scott. Just FYI, but I have several Shimano Trevalla's with the Fuji Graphite reel seats. All of them have reel clamps, and I made a special tool to tighten the snot outta them also. I took a wood chisel, that was the same width as the screws used on reel clamp, I then took a grinder and made the chisel into a screw driver, then hollowed out the center. This makes those screws go on real tight, even after the screw starts to protrude from the middle. I also have a pair of channel locks, that has rubber gripped teeth on the inside of mouth, I use that to tighten the reel seat screw cap, and they never come loose, in fact, you have to have the pliers to remove them, no human has enough grip to loosen these suckers by hand.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.tyrccmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 04, 2018 01:08AM

Thanks Paul. I am likely overly cautious about over tightening clamps and collars on graphite reel seats.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2018 11:31AM

I've never had a problem with a Fuji seat with a full arbor under it. I've also went on trips where I forgot the clamps and have had no problems with the reel coming loose. I think the material seizes on itself, for a better word, unlike metal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster