I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose reel seat
Posted by: James Bare (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2018 05:07PM

I have an old trolling rod and the metal reel seat has come loose. The butt and foregrip are tight but the reel seat rotates easily It has a metal gimbal and a wooden butt. How is the best or easiest way to fix it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 06:10PM

If it is a two piece rod, the best way to fix it is to take the butt section of the rod, cut off the guides in front of the fore grip, cut the fore grip off of the rod, slip the reel seat off of the rod, reglue the reel seat, glue on a new fore grip, retie and coat the rod guides and go fishing.

Shy of that, you can drill holes in the reel seat and inject glue into the area under the reel seat, but this is far from my favorite way of repairing the issue.

The other way to do it is to remove the gimbal, remove the rod but, slip off the reel seat, reglue the reel seat reglue and or replace the rod butt if necessary and reglue and or replace the metal gimbal depending on whether you can remove the metal and butt without damage.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 09:58PM

James

If you are up to a wild Idea (has worked in the past), take a tube or PVC pipe and slip it over the handle. Seal one end of the tube with duct tape over the end of the reel seat, attach the other end of the tube to a shop vac or vacuum pump if you are lucky enough to have one. Turn on the Shop vac or vacuum pump and as the air gets sucked through the other (open) end of the reel seat apply thread finish or some other thin consistency adhesive around the open end of the reel seat and let the adhesive get sucked in between the handle and reel seat..While the adhesive is "loose" twist the seat back and forth to help the adhesive move through the gap and to final position the seat before the adhesive sets. You should be able to feel some resistance as the adhesive gets pulled through. It should not take much adhesive to bond the seat to the handle. It may get messy but cleaning with DNA during the process will help.

This method is very cumber-sum and labor intensive but with a little persistence it should do the job.
As I said it is a wild idea and worth a shot.
Good Luck
John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 11:05PM

If you try John's idea -- a very good idea at that; the idea can be implemented even better if you happen to have a vacuum pump handy.

Do what is needed to seal the end around the end of the vacuum pump hose and apply the vacuum.

A good vacuum pump can generally develop quite a bit more vacuum than a shop vac can develop.

But, be cautious, you do not want any adhesive inside the vacuum pump. So, if you do decide to use a vacuum pump, out a buffer in between the vacuum hose and the pump.

You can just take a quart glass jar and install two hose ports on the lid of the jar. One port goes to the rod or the item you are pulling the vacuum, and the other port goes to the hose for the vacuum pump.

This way, if any adhesive gets sucked into the vacuum line it will end up in the jar and not in the vacuum pump.

One example of a vacuum pump:

[www.harborfreight.com]

An example of a manual pump and reservoir:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 30, 2018 07:07PM

Do what Roger said the first time.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2018 10:29PM

Rod finish is a poor adhesive, I wouldn't use it.

Date: July 30, 2018 11:34PM

Thanks for all the ideas.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 31, 2018 12:50PM

if you use the drill hole method , use slow cure epoxy , so it has some time ti get into the area you want to the epoxy into , I use a deep fry turkey injector to put it into the holes

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2018 07:28PM

Odd , no were was it mentioned what type of material the front grip on the rod. I do this type of work every day. Details can make the difference in answers you may receive. Hope it works out for ya, you got a lot good help.

Date: August 01, 2018 08:54PM

The front grip is hypalon, I was planning on using pro glue epoxy if I drilled the seat. I think I am more leaning towards taking the front grip off and doing it right. The vacuum idea still intrigues me though.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2018 12:26PM

Have slopped a screw driver under of the lip of the foam to see how much gap or open void you may find. . Been pouring rod finish epoxy down reel seat repairs for many year , I suggest you tape the bottom of the reel seat some seats have very little actual contact with the arbor and epoxy may run out the bottom. Ive flex coat filled more than a few reel seats with this method and haven't had problem yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster