I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod
Posted by: Rod Siemens (---.sub-174-197-6.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2018 08:29AM

Hello

I am going to build my nephew a surf rod as a gift. I've built several fresh water spinning rods over the years but never anything close to a surf rod and don't know where to start. Looking at an 11 ft two-piece rod 3oz-6 or 8oz range but really need help or advice on guides, guide type, size and spacing - reel seat size - length, size and type of of grips,- thread size, etc. I live inland and know nothing about surf casting!

Thought I would call Mudhole and have them help set me up with everything but before i do, would start here for advice.

The reel he uses is a Penn Conflict 8000 spinning reel. Huge reel.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide to make this a sweet casting and fishing rod for him.

Thanks again

Rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2018 11:47AM

Rod,
If possible, in addition to other sources of information, go to a rod shop and take notes from a commercial fishing rod.

If that is not available, you can also check sources as well as other on line videos and pictures for information on your project.

Any more when I do a project of any sort that I have not done before, I will normally go on line and check out videos, libraries and pictures to educate myself as much as possible before starting the job.

The research does help a great deal.

Another thing you can do is to go to the rod blank manufacturing sites. Often on these sites, like Rain shadow, St. Croix and others, various blanks are listed with well working rod building receipe of blank, grips, reel seat, guides and guide spacings for a very good working model of that particular blank. Of course you can always modify the recipe to your own needs and specifications, but they do supply a good starting point.

[stcroixrods.com]#

Posted by: herb canter (---.s5.ans1.ns148.ztomy.com)
Date: July 29, 2018 12:49PM

The below blank is extremely popular with surf casters because it comes with two entirely different top sections , one moderate and one moderate fast . One top section is rated 2-6 oz and the other is rated 3-8 oz
A unique 2-in-1 rod blank. Comes with one butt section and two different tip sections, allowing you to essentially have 2 rod rod blanks at an unbeatable value.

[rodgeeks.com]

There's a video by Lou Caruso showing it's casting ability and overall feel on YouTube .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2018 01:28PM

Best if form follows function. Will this surf rod be used primarily as a bait rod or for casting artificial lures? What size fish will be targeted? How much weight will usually be casted? A too-heavy rod can be a handicap fishing for smaller species, like Pompano. A too light rod can't handle an 80# shark. It's like the difference between freshwater crappie fishing and muskie fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster