I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper Losing Power?
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2018 11:37AM

Hi guys,

Ive had this AT power wrapper for about 4-5 years now with pretty consistent use. I love it, but noticed that over time, I have had to gradually dial up the power over time to get the same power and control that I usually work with. Now I am at the end of the dial and its where I want it for now, but I fear Im just going to lose power in the near future.
So far I have:
- cleaned all connections
- changed the o-ring
- taken the pedal apart and cleaned the connections in there
Eventually I figure I'll have to replace a part, but I'm not sure if I should change the motor, rheostat, or the pedal. What do you guys think? Anyone experience this?

Thanks,
Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper Losing Power?
Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: July 26, 2018 12:07PM

Open up the motor. Check brushes. Sand the dark stuff off the commutator. If it is the typical sewing machine type motor, your sewing machine repair shop will have new brushes if needed.

I spent many an hour in my dad's truck repair shop repairing starters and generators (remember them??). Putting the armature in the Little South Bend lathe and turning the commutator to round it up and get to fresh copper was the first step. Installing new brushes was the second step. And new bearings & bushings.

I still have the 1907 South Bend, handy little thing:

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 26, 2018 02:41PM

It could be the bearings [ DRY ] little oil will help that , how is the power supply [ voltage } , takes a min to check it ,
spin the motor by hand to see if it mover freely [ no belt ] as some thing could be binding , dragging , just an idea ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2018 04:10PM

Nick,
In addition to the comments about dirty brushes and stuck bearings, both excellent ideas.
p.s.
When ever I lube up a motor like this one, I like to use sewing machine white turbine oil. It does not oxidize over time and turn to gum as happens with other oils.

But, in addition, a quick check of motor condition is to disconnect the motor power lines and connect the disconnected motor power lines directly to the end of an extension cord. Then, plug in the extension cord into your 110v wall socket and verify that the motor turns at its expected full speed.

You can do this both before checking the brushes and for dry bearings and then checking again afterward.

If you find that you are not getting full power - especially after checking the brushes and bearings you can assume that the motor has gone bad and is time for a new one.

However, if you do find that you do not get the full expected speed when plugging directly into line voltage, you then have to decide if it is the foot pedal or the speed controller.

So, the next thing to do is to bypass the speed controller and just put the foot pedal in line with the motor. If you now, can use the foot pedal to go from 0-full speed, you know that the foot pedal is all right.

Then, disconnect the pedal and connect only the speed controller in line with the motor and verify the operation of the speed controller.

So, you have a defective motor - in the form of bad brushes, dry or defective bearings, or a bad armature or a combination of the afore mentioned items.
Or, you have a bad pedal that can be resolved by purchasing a new pedal.
Or, you have a defective speed controller that can be resolved by purchasing a new speed controller.

The following picture may be of help if you have a connection issue:

[www.google.com]:

The first picture shows the connection of the motor to the plug.
The 2nd picture shows the connection to the plug, to the pedal to the motor.
If you were to test the speed controller, you would substitute the speed controller for the pedal.

Best of luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2018 10:43AM

Nick,
If you don't mind - when you get things back to normal, can you let us know what you found to restore the unit to correct operation?

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: July 27, 2018 09:19PM

Thanks everyone, Ill have to take it apart when I get off work. I have some trouble shooting to do especially with all the great suggestions. Keep posted for the update. I may end up just getting a new motor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster