I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Geek
Posted by: Brandon Smith (---.midco.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 09:39PM

Hey everyone needs some help. Im thinking of ordering a blank from Rod Geek and Im wondering what people think about them. Never order from them, wanted to know the quality and what people have to say good or bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Geek
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 09:53PM

I just built a Rod Geeks metallic red bass rod for a friend today. They are great blanks for a good price and you can get them in almost any color you want. Hard to go wrong with them,
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 11:01PM

2X Norm, they are quality blanks, with lots of options.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 11:10PM

I have had good experiences with them. I bought an 8wt, 9', 4 piece fly rod blank at the show in February. Used it for Bonefish in the Bahamas. Found it to be as close to an 8 wt as any other blank I've tested. Rod performed very well. I needed a label for a rod I am currently building of theirs and their customer service was excellent. They were willing to send a label asap. I am not a production builder, just mostly for myself and friends so my experiences are limited. Limited as they are Rod Geeks makes nice blanks for a good price and support them well. The guys are nice to deal with and willing to help you.

Posted by: herb canter (---.s5.ans1.ns148.ztomy.com)
Date: July 25, 2018 08:05AM

Brandon Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey everyone needs some help. Im thinking of
> ordering a blank from Rod Geek and Im wondering
> what people think about them. Never order from
> them, wanted to know the quality and what people
> have to say good or bad.

They are essentially St. Croix blanks that are just made in Mexico , the whole outfit and the machinery are identical to the stuff in St. Croix's Park Falls Wisconsin location as Dave S of St. Croix was responsible for setting the whole thing up when it first got going down there . He traveled constantly going back and forth between locations to make sure the Fresnillo location was producing the expected quality .

You won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 25, 2018 08:33AM

Agree with all the positive comments above, cannot go wrong.

Posted by: jon tobey (98.99.244.---)
Date: July 25, 2018 12:57PM

Has anybody built on both these and MHX? I just built my second MHX and am loving it, but I do like the color choice option.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Date: July 25, 2018 04:14PM

MHX blanks are also a great value, not nearly as many color options though.
Norm

Date: July 25, 2018 05:15PM

I'm looking for how they compare in action.

Date: July 25, 2018 05:42PM

I have made fly rods using both MHX and RodGeeks blanks, and MHX blanks are a little faster in action and tend to give a little bit more line speed. They are both very nice rods, just depends on what you like. As far as casting and spinning rods, really do not have a clear favorite. The RodGeeks C2 blanks and the standard MHX blanks are very similar when comparing blanks with the same ratings. The same is true for the RodGeeks C4 blanks vs the MHX HM blanks. I do not think one would see much of a performance difference between the brands. MHX gives more options concerning blank types, RodGeeks give more option concerning color. Both are great values and I have had zero complaints concerning either one of them. Hope this is of some help.
Norm

Date: July 25, 2018 06:36PM

Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for. I sometimes forget people build other rods besides fly rods. ;-)

Posted by: herb canter (---.s5.ans1.ns148.ztomy.com)
Date: July 25, 2018 08:32PM

I have found the Rodgeeks blanks to be faster than the MHX blanks i have tried so people will have very different experiences . Even the " Moderate fast" rated rods are fast which i strongly prefer and they tend to be stiffer throughout which i also prefer. MHX has a lot more model lines so you would have to compare rods rated for the same application & have ratings that are as close as possible and then it comes down to each individuals personal opinion .

Date: July 26, 2018 01:07PM

Interesting two people who compare the blank speed completely the opposite of each other! I guess I'm going to have to build one and see for myself.

jontobey@yahoo.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2018 01:46PM

jon tobey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting two people who compare the blank speed
> completely the opposite of each other! I guess I'm
> going to have to build one and see for myself.

Which is why AA is so valuable - it's not subjective. The numbers indicate which blank is faster than another or vice versa.

Date: July 26, 2018 02:31PM

Tom,
Is that the CCS data? If not could you point me to a place where the data for these rods is? Been about 10 years since I thought about this stuff, I see the CCS stuff is now a complete site.

Date: July 26, 2018 02:39PM

I cannot get into the CCS system on either FF or Chrome. The menu doesn't work in either. On FF, when I click the Login button, the sign in doesn't show up, on Chrome, it will let me register but the Capcha is not displaying. If I Google CCS info it takes me to what I assume is the page the menu would take me to, when I click on CCS data, I get a broken link. :-(

jontobey@yahoo.com

Date: July 26, 2018 03:22PM

I do not maintain that website so you might have to contact the webmaster if you're having trouble getting in. I can see that is still online. Whether or not any figures are available for the RodGeeks blanks I do not know.

Date: July 26, 2018 03:36PM

Here are the common cents numbers for the MHX fly rod blanks. [cdn.shopify.com]
Norm

Date: July 26, 2018 04:22PM

Thank you for wrapping my head around this again. So my MHX definitely falls into fast. Although I believe Mudhole characterizes it as MF.
I'm so surprised I can cast it, because I definitely have more experience with slower rods!

jontobey@yahoo.com

Date: July 26, 2018 05:02PM

Remember, the AA figures do not signify FAST, MEDIUM OR SLOW any more than a thermometer categorizes temperature figures as HOT, MILD or COLD. They are simply relative numbers to be used for comparison to other numbers to determine not if a blank is FAST, but whether or not it is FASTER or SLOWER than another blank.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster