I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Advice
Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: July 23, 2018 12:24PM

I am wanting to build a Heavy Duty saltwater jigging rod. I currently have a Shimano Trevalla TFC-58-XXH, 50-200lbs, that I love. I have read up on this forum and others, that the Shimano rod rating is a little exaggerated, and that rod blank manufactures, tend to be more conservative. Well, I love these Trevala rods, so I want something similar in performance or better. I pair the rod with Shimano Torsa 20s, Trinidads, and Talicas. I tend to bottom fish with this setup, using either 80 or 100lb braid. I also use vertical jigs. Due to the short blank, I get better leverage on the fish, than a longer rod. I love the Trevalla because of its light weight, short length, small diameter blank, and overall strength.

What would be a good rod blank to do my first build on.

What weight class rod blank, correctly lines up with the Trevalla 50-200lb class rods? Am I looking for a 50-80 class rod or something bigger? I don't have a blank Manu factor preference, as I have never built a rod before.

Some options I have seen are Seeker, Cousins, Phenix, any other brands to look at?

Thanks in advance to everyone for the advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Advice
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 23, 2018 02:04PM

From Rainshadow lineup we'd recommend the RCKJB508-500 which is for 50-100lb though if you want to go heavier go with the RCKJB508-600 80-130lb. See the specs here: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 03:10PM

Take a close look at the American Tackle ATX VJ line.... the AXVJ6060-325 is almost a dead ringer for that rod. I just built a set for a boat, cut to 5-8 .... they LOVE them more than the shimanos

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 03:17PM by Don @ American Tackle.

Posted by: Paul Wray (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 05:25PM

Which end did you cut? What guides, reel seat did you use?

Date: July 23, 2018 05:37PM

Cut from the butt.... I used AT Virtus heavy guides on them and AT Posi-Lock seats.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 09:22PM

I use the AXVJ's from American Tackle. I drop in 300-600 ft. Have a Talica 16II. Those blanks are awesome. Times 2 on the Virtus Heavy!

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Date: July 24, 2018 04:09PM

Here you go Paul

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Paul Wray (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 08:33PM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here you go Paul
>
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> ?photo=20818&cat=500
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/20817/title/27657984-1999270596998624-78404
> 37068743668695-n/cat/500

Wow, those look awesome. Very nice job. I like the grips also. Is that an American Tackle product also?

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.tyrccmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 09:57PM

I am an United Composites fan. The United Composites CXJ 603 is a fantastic blank that I would rate 60-80 pound and has great tip action for 6-8 ounce jigs. UC rates it as a 300-500gm jigging blank, but I like 6-8 ounce much better for this blank (180-240 gram). I pair it with an old Ocea Jigger 4000P and Penn Torque LD40N 2sp. Works great with AT Titanium Turbo guides! Jigging master makes good blanks too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 09:49PM by Scott Lamb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster