I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burl grip
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 10:18AM

Has anyone used Tongue oil or Linseed oil on burl cork. If so what is your experience.

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burl grip
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 12:26PM

Yes,
Not good.
Simply put, cork is a closed cell material and really does not accept finish.

If you put it on, it will only lay on the surface and then come off.

But you can try either one and see if one or the other works for you.

Good luck

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2018 02:52PM

I'll take respectful exception to Roger's post. He has far more experience than I do and his advice is usually well grounded. However, i've used tung oil on burl cork and find that depending on what level of gloss you are trying to obtain it may in fact take several applications of tung oil to obtain your desired finish and level of protection.. Should you find that with wear it needs refreshing it merely takes a wipe down or two with more tung oil to patch it up. And Roger is not saying don't do it. Why don't you try it on a cork ring or two and see what you think before doing an entire grip. That being said, i have a burl cork handle on a split grip rod I have used in the surf for almost 10 years and it has never had any finish on it whatsoever. Despite many dunkings and much fish slime it still looks good.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 03:08PM

True Oil gunstock oil works nicely on burl to bring out the grain and prevent soiling, so I would expect other oils to work well too. I don't know if it's "coming off," but the appearance is stable and has looked good for years on a couple of my rods.

Another striking finish is wrap epoxy for a very handsome, glossy, finish.

Search photos for my full name and note the green burl with the Michigan State Spartan helmet.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 05:58PM

Roger is correct, cork is a closed cell substance, that will not absorb fluids, that is why is has been used for centuries to float nets. However the surface will accept many finishes, some of which are mentioned above. Many of the finishes enhance the color and grain of burl cork beautifully.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 23, 2018 07:44PM

I have also had very good success using multiple coats of TruOil and steel wool buffing between coats.
Rog

Date: July 23, 2018 10:37PM

I think there are two points being missed here. The party line is that cork doesn't absorb finish therefore finish won't work. But, when cork is sanded its surface is disturbed to the point that some finish is "held," it changes the color of the cork slightly, and depending on the coarseness of the sanding process, it does not always "come off." Oils work to give a little more depth and a little more contrast to the appearance even with natural cork. Keep in mind also that they are not painted on, but rubbed on. Not the same as painting it on.

Burl cork and natural cork are two different materials, and the spaces between the pieces in burl cork do absorb finish to the point that oils change the color giving more contrast, and enough is "held" on the cork pieces so that there really isn't anything "coming off." As stated before, oils are not painted on, but rubbed on.

The best thing to do is to set up a few rings that have been turned and sanded as you plan to use them on the rod and try some different oils and see what you get. Don't be scared off oils without trying them.

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: July 24, 2018 01:19PM

After reading all the posts (thank you for all the responses) I decided to take a sample fore grip of burl cork and apply Tongue oil using a gauze pad (yesterday).

The first thing I noticed is fore grip became slightly darker. I have applied several coats without any additional change of color from the first application.

Second and it may be too early to tell but it doesn't feel dry. I don't know how long it takes for it to dry on burl cork.

I plan to wait several days and make some more checks. After that I will apply a coat of paste wax over it and do more checks.

My gut feeling is that it may work for me.

Thanks for all the support.

John.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2018 02:03PM

Tung oil never dries. No true oil finish ever dries.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2018 02:53PM

Tom is technically correct. Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

"Tung oil definitely gets hard, but it doesn't happen by evaporation. Chemists classify oils as “non-drying”, “semi-drying”, and “drying”. The word “drying” is misleading because the oils don't really “dry” or evaporate; they “harden” or cure. The most commonly known drying oils in woodworking are tung and linseed oil."

The curing process can take up to 72 hours depending upon temperature.

Wax on a grip sounds counter intuitive!

Date: July 25, 2018 08:45AM

The response of the cork will vary with the texture of the sanded/turned surface of the cork.

If it feels wet, you most likely are applying too much. My experience indicates that you want just a few drops on your hands and rub it on vigorously. My experience is with Tru Oil gunstock finish. I agree with Phil and Wikipedia. My gunstocks and burl cork grips with Tru Oil finish do not feel wet, and never did after a reasonable cure time. I'm not sure exactly what Tru Oil contains.

I also agree on the paste wax idea. If the oil is not feeling dry then why would paste wax help? After the oil, do nothing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2018 11:59AM

Try-Oil is a polymerized varnish, not a real oil, and therefore will harden and build depth just like any other varnish.

Date: July 25, 2018 12:23PM

Ah ha! Thanks, Tom.

It acts a lot like oil when applied like oil.

In the old days I used linseed oil, applied in the same manner, and it would dry or cure or somehow change from wet to dry.

The safety sheet for Tru Oil describes it as a mixture of three ingredients, 40-70% Stoddard Solvent, 15-40% modified oil (proprietary), and 7-13% linseed oil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 12:57PM by Michael Danek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster