I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Is there any blank on the market to rival the NRX in sensitivity ?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 05:30PM

just remember that is an OPINION , an every one has one, an it in most cases are not the same, no matter how hard you try to make it the same , if one rod was the best, every
person on this site would have ONE , they all catch fish I think , just my 2 CENTS,

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 18, 2018 05:59PM

Carol,
For what it's worth the new "Asquith" is a better blank.
The manufacturing technique is new and really does work.
I had the opportunity to cast one and they are a step above the NRX.
I don't believe Loomis has made that one available to the builder market.
Sorry, but that doesn't really help.

Gene

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 06:11PM

i remember when they first came out with the super braid lines..guys were breaking their high modulus graphite rods like crazy on the hook sets..not enough stretch in the line to soften the hookset..some bassers went back to using glass rods..the graphite people got smart and started making these composite rods using low modulus graphite in the tip section which could handle hookset but high modulus in the butt section to reduce rod weight..i may be wrong but i don,t think anyone makes a 100% high modulus rod anymore for this reason.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: July 18, 2018 06:20PM

Carol check out Tackle tours review of the latest Kistler built on the x Ray. They are rather biased towards the JDM market and for them to give it that type of rating says at least a little something. Just some food for thought

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 07:32PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thomas - I have used all of the blanks named
> above, and the Point Blanks are one of my
> favorites, I did mention Point Blanks as an option
> in my first post above. I total disagree with you
> about them not being in the same league with the
> others. They are great blanks, very light with a
> unique feel that I really like. I do not use
> Phenix K2s any more after a couple of them
> exploded in the hands of a couple of my friends
> while fishing. Beauty is in the eye of the
> beholder. I am also not trying start anything, but
> I do not want people reading this thread to think
> that Point Blanks are not a high end quality
> blank, which they are.
> Norm

Not only a great blank but their customer service is top notch as well.
Rick Elrod

Date: July 18, 2018 07:45PM

Rick very happy you had a good experience with them.. unfortunately mine wasn’t the same. Would be great if they got it together.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 18, 2018 07:59PM

How should the spine of the rod blank be alined to produce the most sensitivity? Is it the same for both spin rods and conventional rods? What grips, guides, threads, and finish produce the most sensitive rod? Is there any website where this information is available? I would like to read it and think about it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 08:37PM

Ah, hello?

Date: July 18, 2018 09:10PM

phil, use the search button. You will find the answer to all your questions

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2018 01:53AM

Sure, what Tom said. Now add a custom build and use braid with a leader.

Date: July 19, 2018 08:28AM

before graphite rods and super braid lines anyone serious about sensitivity used braided dacron line and our rods had foregrips and we held the rod by the foregrip with the line passing over the fingers..it wasn,t considered uncool to use or even have a foregrip on your rod..

Date: July 19, 2018 10:06AM

Got it. Graphite grips, spine up on spin rods, down on conventional rods, 0000 thread, one coat of clear lacquer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2018 10:18AM

Spine orientation won't have anything to do with rod sensitivity.

Date: July 19, 2018 01:56PM

Oops, forgot! Solid Niobium guides also for maximum sensitivity.

Date: July 19, 2018 06:34PM

Phil why do you care? You only build fly rods by your own admission. I have said it before and will say it again, unless you have something that is going to viably add to the original question sit quietly until you do.

Date: July 19, 2018 07:20PM

i don,t know Thomas, but it,s more interesting than reading a bunch of parts numbers..lol.

Date: July 19, 2018 07:29PM

Tom, I build fly rods, surf rods, spinning rods, casting rods, and trolling rods. I have been building rods since 1957 and I want to keep up to date. I asked a reasonable question: How can I measure the sensitivity of the rods I build, like I measure the power and action of rods I build? Your suggestion "use the search button" got me nowhere. If rod sensitivity is a real phenomenon there must be a way to measure it by speed or weight or some physical characteristic; something besides faith or prejudice.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2018 08:06PM

Phil, i think you can answer the sensitivity question yourself. Take two identical blanks and build one out of the heaviest components you can find then build the other with the lightest components you can find. Put light braid on one and heavy mono on the other one. If you can't tell the difference you are dead. Sensitivity by itself is hard to explain but by building the lightest rod you can and using thin no stretch line i think you will feel the difference in sensitivity, so in itself sensitivity will be difficult to define but when all other factors are put in the equation including how much feel someone actually has in their hands due to many reasons, nerve endings being a huge part it all adds to the feeling or sensitivity. Each person has a different feel for sure but using the two rods i described and the other factors i think you get the gist of sensitivity. No one can claim you are wrong that sensitivity doesn't exist but i'm betting you truly know better especially on the finished product. I get what your saying in regards to each individual component.

Date: July 19, 2018 08:43PM

Terry: Thank you. The lightest rod is the most sensitive rod. This is information I can measure and use.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.80.---)
Date: July 19, 2018 08:46PM

I took Phil to mean is there any new info out there that can give a good indication of different blanks sensitivity levels BEFORE any build is considered for them like barebones against barebones tests . Of course components used, line / leader choices , coatings etc... will either greatly enhance the sensitivity of the blank or greatly decrease the blanks inherent sensitivity traits just a blank vs blank comparison.

I know of no new methods that allow that and as everyone has said already , sensitivity comes down to each individuals personal preferences and i would bet every one of us who has commented would likely pick a different rod than the next guy as our personal choice.

I think these topics have been discussed in depth countless time before over the years and putting " Determining blank sensitivity " in the search box will prove it. Rod builders just love to chat about this stuff and i'm sure there will be many more of these in the years to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 08:53PM by herb canter.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster