I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank stripping
Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 01:33PM

I have an old Abu Veritas blank that I'm stripping. What is the best way to remove their "yellowed" finish and what type of paint or product can I repaint it with before rebuilding?

Thanks,
Rick Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank stripping
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 03:09PM

I use Citri-Strip and Scotchbrite to strip blanks. Can't help with the repainting part.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: July 16, 2018 03:25PM

Doesn't need any, go with Lynn's approach. If you most the sky's the limit, just about anything works, I used to use the cans of automotive touch up enamel back in the day. Clear coat over.

Date: July 16, 2018 03:50PM

Answered my own question. Paint stripper on the heavy stuff scraped with a Popsicle stick. Followed up with 180 grit then 320 since I had some here. Will probably run some 5-600 over it and call it done. Looks great bare. Took about 1.5 hrs I'm guessing

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 04:46PM

After you have stripped the blank and built the rod, some folks will take wax and wax the parts of the rod that do not have rod parts or wraps on the blank to give a touch of shine to the raw blank.

Don't put wax on the blank before you build the rod or you will have issues with glues and thread finish.

Good luck

Date: July 16, 2018 05:35PM

I sometimes use marbling pigment mixed in my favorite moisture curing urethane (@#$%^) and wipe the blank to slightly tint it. This looks pretty good as you can still see the graphite through the tint.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 07:25PM

I have recently stripped several Veratas blanks in the past few months, and used a utility knife as a stripper. Hold blade at 90 degrees to the blank and scrape, this will quickly and efficiently remove the paint, with the paint coming off in little curlyques, similar to planing wood. I then use fine steel wool, or a scotch brite pad, to remove any residual paint streaks. Finally, I wet sand the blank with 800 to 1500 grit wet dry paper. This gives a nice smooth finish. If you like the way it looks leave it and proceed to rewrapping. If you want a little more shine, then clear coat it with Permagloss by quickly wiping on a very thin coat using a PG saturated cosmetic sponge. There are several threads here concerning the application of PG to a blank, just do a search if you are interested. In my opinion PG is an excellent clear coat. It is easy to apply, and gives a very thin, light, smooth and durable finish that will last the life of the rod. If you have additional questions just ask.
Norm

Date: July 17, 2018 08:41AM

Lynn, would you please give me an example of a moisture curing urethane? I am not familiar

Thanks,
Rick

Date: July 17, 2018 10:52AM

Permagloss and Lumiseal are both moisture catalyzed polyurethanes. Basically they harden due to the humidity in the air. Thus, they need to be kept in an air tight container or they will harden in the bottle.
Norm

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2018 11:55AM

Rick,

I love Perma Gloss. After opening keep the bottle in the refrigerator and it should last a long time.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2018 01:31PM

Don,
Just wondering if freezing Perma Gloss would further the life!

Any one done any freezing bulk Perma Gloss to check results?

Date: July 17, 2018 01:42PM

I use CPXtra, from the D-2 family.

Date: July 17, 2018 03:19PM

I keep my PG bottle inside an airtight jar containing some desiccant and store it in the fridge. Lasts a long time stored this way. When needed I pour a little PG into a small mixing cup. I don’t use it directly from the bottle.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster