I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for blank ideas
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 14, 2018 12:02AM

Looking to build a spin rod to cast surface plugs from a boat for striped bass. Lure weigh 2-4oz blank length 7'6"-8'. I have some ideas but I'd like to get some input from the group. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for blank ideas
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2018 12:14AM

[rodgeeks.com]

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: July 14, 2018 12:23AM

Matthew thanks for the reply. I have accounts with several suppliers so I've looked at several options. My hope is someone has built a similar rod and can point me towards a specific blank. I'm leaning towards a musky blanks.

Date: July 14, 2018 12:27AM

Matthew, my bad. I clicked on the highlighted suppliers you posted. I see you gave me some options....including a musky blank. Much appreciated.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2018 10:02AM

Schneider's has a 7 ft. 10 in. Batson swimbait blank, in their Hot Items section for almost half off, that may be just what your looking for. Something with a bit more tip for casting and pulling those 4 oz. plugs. I have some of the Batson 967s suggested on the Angler's site, love them things, but blanks have improved since the time of the Calfish article when we were just trying everything to find a blank to pull those new and evolving swimbaits. These rods are being used in the salt all the time for many presentions they weren't specifically designed for. On the west coast they are being used for 4 oz. popping plugs in the kelp for yellowfin, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 12:22PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: July 14, 2018 02:03PM

That's a great suggestion. I'll check it out. Thanks Spencer

Date: July 14, 2018 02:03PM

That's a great suggestion. I'll check it out. Thanks Spencer

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 14, 2018 09:17PM

Rodgeeks XC 733 or 734 or 803 or 804 are ideal for what you're doing. Yesterday someone landed a 50# Bass in Connecticut on the XC 732 that I built for him [www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 09:19PM by Billy Vivona.

Date: July 14, 2018 09:45PM

Billy, Wow....that's a cow. I will definitely check out the blanks you recommended. Much appreciated. Tight lines, Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster