I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quik Bond
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-174-229-129.myvzw.com)
Date: July 10, 2018 05:04PM

I like Quik Bond for rod building, but I've never used it for installing a tip top until right now. I've always used the glue stick. Is there any reason I should worry?
Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Quik Bond
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2018 05:24PM

I do not like using epoxies for installing tip tops, I only use hot melt tip top cement. If you ever have to replace the tip top, it takes more heat to break the epoxy bond than to melt the hot melt tip top cement. This extra heat may cause problems damaging the tip of the blank. Depends on the epoxy being used.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 10, 2018 05:26PM

Bruce

No worries! I like better than the stick.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2018 05:38PM

Nothing to worry about until and unless you have to remove a tiptop. I'd stick with the stick.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2018 11:52AM

Bruce,

I live in So. Cal where it gets plenty hot in the summer. I have been using epoxy to install tip tops for over 10 years. I used to use the hot melt glue for tip tops, but found the tip tops would rotate after sitting in the hot sun on the deck of a boat.

I have had to replace numerous tip tops after my client reeled their bullet weight up too far and knocked the ring out of the tip top. It has not been a problem replacing the epoxied tip tops. I just "gently" heat the tube around the tip top and pull if straight off with a pair of pliers. If it doesn't want to pop off I wait a minute for the heat to work on the epoxy, reheat a little and then they usually pull right off.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2018 02:24PM

10-4 on Donald's comment.

In addition, a tip that I picked up from this forum a long time ago.

Use a hook and a rubber band to remove the tip. Take a nice tough $64 rubber band and loop a paper clip into one end of the band. Then, clip the paper clip into the tip top that you wish to remove. Finally, hook the free end of the binder over a convenient hook that you might have on a wall or similar.

Now, while keeping the band taunt by pulling on the end of the rod, gently heat the tip top with a heat gun, flame or other heat source. Also, rotate the rod back and forth as you do this to get the entire tip top heated. By keeping tension on the tip top by virtue of the rubber band, just as soon as the adhesive softens sufficiently, the tip top will pop off the end of the blank.

By keeping the tension on the tip top as you do the heating, the tip top flies off with the least amount of heat applied to the tip top, adhesive, and rod blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 11, 2018 05:52PM

Bruce

I use quick bond on all of my (45?) tops! Easier for me to adjust the alignment after installing. I will worry about taking the tops off when the need comes up !

Rog

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.86.---)
Date: July 11, 2018 11:03PM

I have always used the product that was purposely designed for applying tip tops, hot melt glue . Never had a tip top loosen on me in my lifetime & i have fished in absolutely brutal conditions. Everybody has their preference , no big deal.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2018 06:47PM

I use the stuff for archery it doesn’t melt as easily as the hot glue stuff. I used to use that then one summer day all the tips melted and turned down in my car.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.sub-174-229-144.myvzw.com)
Date: July 20, 2018 06:00PM

Is that the same hot mail glue that's used in a glue gun? Seems like if it is, it would be easier to squeeze glue on to the tip with a glue gun. Any thoughts on that?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster