I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White thread over dark rod question.
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 07:41PM

Hi guys I am building a 2nd rod for a customer. I made him a MN Vikings inspired rod for his first one. It was a white blank with purple wraps that was easy dark color over light blank. For this one I painted the blank flat purple. He wants the guides wrapped with white thread. I didn't like the idea of doing white over purple but that's how he wanted it so I figured id give it a try. I have two guides on right now one with Fuji size a white and the other with Pro Wrap white. I packed as I went and burnished when I was done but you can still see the darker color underneath. I was wondering I have some white marbeeling pigment, can I mix some of that with my first coat of epoxy and put that over the wraps then hit it with a second light coat of untinted epoxy. I have a test rod on the dryer right now to see how it looks. Is this a good thing to try or do I need to do something else to hide the dark color better. Thanks Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White thread over dark rod question.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 08:33PM

You can use No CP thread, (NCP), or paint the area your going to wrap white. I like the first idea.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2018 09:11PM

White NCP, tightly packed may be all you need. However, this is a lot easier with larger D size thread than A.

White colored epoxy, as you're experimenting with, is not necessarily a bad option, either.

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 09:24PM

I am not opposed to painting the areas where the guides are going white or the guide foot white either. With the no cp thread will the white darken a little or will it be just like it looks on the spool? I paint cars for a living so sometimes I see things that others don't. I just don't want to have to do the rod over for something I could have fixed from the start.

I am a little nervous about using the tinted epoxy as I have never used the marbling pigments before. I think on my test I used a bit too much but it covered a black blank with ease.

I have to order a fishing rod for my niece so I can order size D thread also and try that. I have time that I can wait for the thread to get here so I am leaning towards trying that to see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips Tom and Spencer I really appreciate it. I will update when I get this figured out and let you know what worked. Thanks Justin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 09:54PM

Just like on the spool.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2018 10:36AM

Also on the nest few wraps paint the guide foot with white paint before you put them on the rod. that will eliminate the dark foot under the wrap. On small guide feet I use correction White Out over the foot. Dries super fast and works well

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 10:38AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Randy Hively (50.110.58.---)
Date: July 10, 2018 01:11PM

The white metallic thread works well too.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 10, 2018 04:03PM

I recently used the Fuji white NCP on a silver Batson blank and it came out pretty good although I did use CP on it anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster