I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lazer level
Posted by: Paul James Vonderwall (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2018 12:53AM

Hi guys how do you work lazer level for guide
Alignment have never used can able to tell
Me how to use it thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lazer level
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 08:22AM

The idea is that you first mount the level on the reel seat and then mount guides on the blank where the laser light bisects the guide. Sounds simple, right? Problem is that not all, and in fact few blanks are laser light straight to begin with. And if a rod lathe is used to to hold the blank straight the lathe's blank support arms will more than likely block the laser.

Save yourself some $s. Learn the other, lower tech, techniques to align guides. Any alignment errors using non-laser techniques will be so small as to be of no concern.

Posted by: Paul James Vonderwall (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2018 08:35AM

Donald La Mar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The idea is that you first mount the level on the
> reel seat and then mount guides on the blank where
> the laser light bisects the guide. Sounds simple,
> right? Problem is that not all, and in fact few
> blanks are laser light straight to begin with.
> And if a rod lathe is used to to hold the blank
> straight the lathe's blank support arms will more
> than likely block the laser.
>
> Save yourself some $s. Learn thep other, lower
> tech, techniques to align guides. Any alignment
> errors using non-laser techniques will be so small
> as to be of no concern.
Thanks pal

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 10:27AM

Watch the factory production vids from Seeker, they show how most of us do the job. I put on a reel and use it to align the first guide to the reel, than put the other guides on the rod. I now flip the rod over and use the blank as an alignment tool comparing the amounts of guide frame sticking out past the blank, I than wrap the rod and do any minor alignment afterwards before I put on finish by just looking down the guides and tweeking them as needed. As mentioned before this is not a gun barrel, what you end up with will straighter than it has to be to get maximum performance.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 11:39AM

it,s amazing how wacked out of line taped on guides have to get before you notice much of a drop off in rod performance

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 01:03PM

Paul,
The best thing to use a laser level is to insure that the fondation on your new home is level, to insure that your newly installed stove is level, to insure that all of the pictures that you hang are level.

For fishing rod guides, not so much. Simply put, blanks are never perfectly straight, and when weight - like guides are put on them, they are now more less level simply from the weight deflection.

There are better and more efficient ways to insure that your guides are aligned.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.86.---)
Date: July 07, 2018 05:41PM

I flip the rod over , remove the spool of the reel i intend to use with the rod and mount the reel on the rod in an upside down position . I then run a taught line from the spool axle to the top of the choke guide first and look to see if each guide lines up perfectly center of the line . I then run a second line from the top of the choke guide to the tip top to see if each running guide is exactly in the middle of that line .

Lastly i just run a line from the spool axle right to the tip top and take one last look , works well for me. I use a level attached to an old reel seat to make certain the blank is perfectly level and not off to one side or the other before i start of course.

The eye test is plenty good enough for most people .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 05:53PM

As I only build fly rods, and today they are virtually all multi-piece, I find it preferable to mount the guides a section at a time. Thus I only have to line up the guides (2 to 5 guides) on that one section, rather than the entire length of the rod. After finishing all sections, I assemble the rod, line up each section so that all the guides are in line, then mark each section with line-up dots, for future user assembly.

In lining up the guides on the individual sections, I first mount them on top then rotate the section so that the guides are below and use the section itself as a "straight-edge" check for any adjustments before applying epoxy to the warps.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 10:58PM

The old tried and true "EYE BALL" method. Works every time and it is inexpensive.

John

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2018 11:20PM

I'm with John D. on this one But, if you have a problem and can't see straight then just tie a piece of mason cord to your tip/top and bring it back to the center of your reel seat and that's the line to follow. Can't get any simpler than that.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2018 03:19AM

I find that it works best if the rod is aimed toward a white wall in bright light to make it easy to see the guide.
First sight down the rod on the ring side of the guides and align as needed.
Then, flip the rod over and sight down the non guide side of the rod/. When you do this, some of the smaller guides will disappear under the blank. Rotate the blank back and forth to see the edge of the guide peeking out from the side. Insure that you get equal rotation on both rotations and your guides will be perfect.

Coarse adjustment sighting down the guide side of the blank.
Final adjustment and double check sighting down the non guide side of the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 09:32AM

I cut the foot off an old reel, painted bright red, put a strip of bright gold mylar tape down the middle of the leg then mount the device in the reel seat of the rod. I can then site each guide so the mylar strip bisects each guide ring in the center. It's the eyeball method with help. The simple plastic device from Mudhole is too dark to see and the little silver dot cannot be seen when trying to align.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2018 01:41PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find that it works best if the rod is aimed
> toward a white wall in bright light to make it
> easy to see the guide.
> First sight down the rod on the ring side of the
> guides and align as needed.
> Then, flip the rod over and sight down the non
> guide side of the rod/. When you do this, some of
> the smaller guides will disappear under the blank.
> Rotate the blank back and forth to see the edge
> of the guide peeking out from the side. Insure
> that you get equal rotation on both rotations and
> your guides will be perfect.
>
> Coarse adjustment sighting down the guide side of
> the blank.
> Final adjustment and double check sighting down
> the non guide side of the blank.
>
> Good luck

I do the same works well. You can also do it outside with the sky as background. Do this after you have wrapped them and right before epoxy.

Posted by: Kevin Althoff (45.52.50.---)
Date: July 19, 2018 02:22PM

I do find the laser alignment tool somewhat useful to align the stripper guide. I'll use tape or guide foot adhesive for the initial layout, then use a combination of the laser tool and the reel to help get the stripper on straight. All that really does is give you a starting point for the rest of the guides though. The guys saying learn the old way are correct, there is no silver bullet for guide alignment.

Actually what a laser does best is show off how crooked many blanks are....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster