I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap Guide Selection
Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: July 06, 2018 05:43AM

Would like to attemp a spiral wrap, on a 6'6" 20-50# class rod, paired with a Penn 4/0 senator. This will also be my 1st conventional build, and the amount of different guides/styles out there is overwhelming. Would anyone mind recommending/steering me in the direction of a make/model/style of guides for this application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Guide Selection
Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: July 06, 2018 12:19PM

Alps XN's. Utmost keeps them in stock.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 06, 2018 02:21PM

Hello Ken.

Fresh Water or Salt Water, if salt get titanium guides, or at leased a good stainless steel.

I'm partial to "Virtus" .

You would need the lights, I use a lot of the NIRLVL & NIRLVH.

These are not "Cheep" guides butt are great guides, I have never had trouble with them.

At 30# I choose by what the client is fishing for, and how much they fish but at 40# and up it's almost always "Virtus".

I have a friend that likes to fish for big Spanish mackerel he uses an old TLD-5 on a HS-9000 with "Typhoon" guides spiraled in a 0-90-180* wrap, and it works for him, he has 7 catches over 10# (last I heard) but no 13#ers.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ken Patek (172.109.138.---)
Date: July 06, 2018 03:05PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I know I need to go through the growing pains and learn this stuff on my own. Unfortunately, that gets expensive so any little guidance (no pun intended) I get is welcomed and appreciated. Does anyone know of any good reference material that dives deep into the differences, pros, and cons of all the different types of guides out there?

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: July 06, 2018 04:54PM

Saving weight on a 50# stick by going with titanium frames doesn't make sense, unless you just have deep pockets. Good quality aluminium oxide inserts are proven performers. Zirconium and SIC inserts have been around a long time.Recessed rings have a slight advantage over pressed rings. SS 316 stainless steel is a bit better than SS304 at corrosion resistance. Every manufacturer will tell you why their guide is the best choice. Alps has a guide lineup for every type of build, at a reasonable cost.

Date: July 06, 2018 05:29PM

I guess I should ask more specific questions; like what are the differences between these three guides? All three are for conventional rods, but they’re shaped different/have different frames, what is it about these differences that would make you select one over the other for a particular application?

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 06, 2018 07:33PM

Hello Ken.

All the guides you picked are Fuji 1st. one is their newest (I Think, they change so fast) the 2nd. isan older model for medium duty the 3rd. are boat guides for heavy duty.

They can all be had in different types of metals, the most expensive is Titanium because it is a rare metal, the reasons for using titanium differ with the rods, a standard freshwater rod sees little need for titanium where a rod built for it's lightness would use them, with a large rod or a rod that sees a lot of saltwater fishing would use titanium for the lack of corrosion these guides give you, Stainless Steel is pretty good at corrosion control too but not quite as good.

You can use a piece of bent fence wire for a guide if you want (and in the past I have), most guide choices are just that Choices, it's up to the builder to learn what they can by reading, asking questions and experimenting on your own.

Guide material properties can be checked out on the web, and I don't mean with guide mfrs, but with metallurgists and other science types.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 06, 2018 08:47PM

Thanks everyone. I did some digging and found a good thread explaining guides and the different brands/materials.

[rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster