I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork
Posted by: Jimmy Norris (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 30, 2018 06:55PM

Hello all. Have any of you ever made your own handles out of wine or champagne corks. If so what was your process? I tried to use wine cork by grinding it up in my wifes blender to what I thought was a good sized crum. Then mixed it up with epoxy an put the mixture into a homemade pipe press. It worked but it was too dense/heavy. Then switched to champagne corks. I cut the stem off the the “mushroom” top. Drilled a hole and put it on a mandrel on my lathe to true each piece up. Then glued and shaped on the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 30, 2018 10:02PM

Never found any of them large enough to make a standard size grip.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 30, 2018 10:15PM

Put your champagne cork in a micro wave for 1 minute and it will return to its original shape. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2018 05:28AM

Jimmy,
Although tough to take sometimes, the natural cork that comes off the bark of the cork trees is pretty tough to beat.
As the saying goes, "Step up to the bar, pay the price, and get the cork of your dreams from your favorite supplier."

If not, then - get a less expensive material in the form of EVA, hypalon.

If you do want to go a natural way, then, take a soft wood, turn up a nice grip, and then center bore the grip so that the actual wood part of the handle is fairly thin to reduce the weight and then, turn an arbor from arbor foam, and glue it up and you will have a great grip with reasonable weight.

In today's world of shortages, the price of cork continues to rise. Hence the move to materials other than cork and or to go to split grips which require a much smaller quantity of grip material.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster