I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New guy looking for some help getting started
Posted by: Justin White (70.40.110.---)
Date: June 23, 2018 10:07PM

Hey guys, new to rod building and have learned a great deal from the knowledge that you guys share with one another. I am still left with a question, probably trivial for you guys.... but I don't know what kind of rod wrapper to buy. What would be the best option for someone who plans to wrap 3-5 rods a year, possibly more in the future. Do I build my own hand wrapper or buy one? If so, what brand? What was your beginner setup? Also, what were the things that you didn't have when you started that would have made your life easier? Thank you in advance for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New guy looking for some help getting started
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 10:33PM

Justin,
If just starting, all that you really need is a cardboard box with a v cut in each end to support the rod and an obsolete telephone directory to run the thread through to create tension on the rod.

A lot of beginners have turned out beautifully using these simple things, a straight edged raxor for close cutting, a sharpened dowel for packing thread - it is nice if the dowel is plastic so that it doesn't leave any splinters in the thread and a small pair of scissors to nip thread as needed.

------------
But, actually, if at all possible, find a person or location where you can build your rod on site and receive ongoing instruction as you do, so that your first rod turns out great. An experienced person or instructor can catch your mistakes and have you correct them, before making a mistake on the rod.

Best wrapping.

p.s.
Actually, you can watch a bunch of the on line videos as well as the nice library of videos on Mudhole.com. Very informative and helpful.

Date: June 23, 2018 10:52PM

Thank you for the response Roger. I have been watching and reading now for about a year. I have done my own rod repair since I was a kid with my dad, it was nothing more than replacing a tip top or an eye or two, nothing major. I have seen the cardboard box trick, its pretty neat. I am not opposed to buying a hand wrapper, I just need some opinions on brands.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 01:34AM

for what you are want to do these 2 things will be more than sufficient and easy on the pocket book

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

78.52 wrapper + 39.95 rod dryer my suggestion is the 9 rpm. till your more advanced with finishing

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 09:54AM

Justin, I probably built my first 15 rods the way Roger explained until I really felt serious about rod building. You can also use a cut down plastic knitting needle as a burnishing and packing device.

I ended up with a PacBay wrapper because hand wrapping did a job on my arthritic thumbs and have subsequently upgraded to the ALPS chuck. I do not do any custom cork handle work except for very minor items that I will do outdoors due to dust issues. Good luck and watch out for the addiction.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 10:21AM

I started with the Flexcoat hand wrapper Matthew recommended - I bought a start up kit from mudhole - the Flexcoat video that came with the kit "how we do it" was very interesting as it showed how to build a rod with almost no tools and also how manufacturers did it with more investment in tools . . . .

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 10:26AM

I bought a Clemens lathe ( which is Renzetti lathe) 30 years ago and it looks and works just like it is new. Can't go wrong with one. All the top lathes are alot of money but they all will work for years.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 10:51AM

I've been using the box method for more years than a lot of people have been alive with good results. I built a thread tension holder with a couple of pieces of wood @ right angles, a 1/4" bolt, 3 washers, a spring and 2 nuts. I made a dryer from a BBQ spit motor. Everyone calls me cheap but I'm just frugal.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:03AM

Thanks for the input guys. I hope to have one soon. I’m sure there will be a few more questions in the near future. Thanks for all the help.

Date: June 24, 2018 12:33PM

Justin,
I have built many many rods using this thread stand and tension device. With its nylon base it easily slided along the top of the rod bench - tight against the back of the rod wrapper.

The spring disk setup is available at many sources for under $10. The upright is a piece of oak trim that has been cut to size. Then, the upright is secured with a pair of right angle mounts and a bolt, washer and nut securing the upright for the desired angle.

If you happen to be raiding an old sewing machine for parts, you can take the tension device off of the sewing machine and use it with minimal modifications for no cost if you wish.

I do not run metallic thread through this device because there are issues. But, I never use metallic for main wraps and for trim, I just hold a piece of metallic thread in my hand for the short trim effects that I put on rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

By the way, when just starting, I just took a 1x4 board and drilled a series of holes down the length of the board to mount rod rests. I would just bolt a rod support to the board at the desired location and build away.

Good luck

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2018 03:22PM

I bought a rod building kit with rod wrapper and dryer and and everything you need to build a rod(well almost everything) and a rod building kit from mud hole for like 150 bucks ... it was a package deal.

Date: June 24, 2018 04:44PM

Justin,
If you have the ability to build rods, you have the ability to build a rod wrapper as well.

Just do a bunch of on line catalog searches, on - line pictures and blogs to find pictures and building directions to make your own.

You can go the picture section of this forum and cruise through the various designs that folks have made over the years as well.

Good luck

Date: June 24, 2018 06:01PM

Date: June 24, 2018 08:58PM

I just went to the photos section of the forum and looked around. I have decided that I will be building my wrapper and will be purchasing the dryer. Thanks for the $$$ savings, I can use that to put toward anything else that you guys could think of that would make my first rod building experience easier and also more enjoyable. Can you guys think of anything else that you wish you had and didn't when building your first rod?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 10:08PM

a dedicated work bench lol
just a few other things [www.anglersworkshop.com]

these 2 items will give you everything you will want/need to do it .
then you can gather the rest of the items Blank, guides, grips, threads, and you will have everything to do your build and enough to do several builds minus the rod parts.
If you have any other questions just ask or if you want you can e mail me and I will give you as much help as needed

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Justin White (192.234.122.---)
Date: June 25, 2018 08:32AM

Thanks Matthew. I ordered a kit from Mud Hole that is very similar to the kit that you posted for me. I also ordered a 7' inshore rod kit that comes with the grip, reel seat, and guides just to play around with for my first build. I figure it will be sufficient enough to learn on. I am sure I will have tons of questions in the near future once I actually start building. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Matthew. I ordered a kit from Mud Hole that is very similar to the kit that you posted for me. I also ordered a 7' inshore rod kit that comes with the grip, reel seat, and guides just to play around with for my first build. I figure it will be sufficient enough to learn on. I am sure I will have tons of questions in the near future once I actually start building. Thanks for your help.

Date: June 25, 2018 10:45AM

Justin,
Remember, anything that you do with rod building before final glue up, or the application of wrapping finish can easily be removed and changed if you do not like it.

Once you get adhesive in the picture and or thread finish, then the picture changes and changes become more difficult.

But, also remember, that if you put it together, you can take it apart and redo it if you don't like it.

When mistakes have been made, thousands of rods have been brought back to the bare blank status and work is begun again. So, when you make a mistake, either live with the mistake or remove the mistake and or mistakes and do it over again.

As the saying goes - one learns from one's mistakes.

Even the best of us will make a mistake now and then. It is then, up to the person making the mistake if it needs to be remedied or is it a mistake that will just go out as is.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2018 11:06AM

If you are fortunate enough to be a fly-tier before you become a rod-maker you can put your thread spool on a fly-tying bobbin, weight the bobbin to the thread tension you desire, tilt the rod blank to the angle you want and wrap away. You can even do this in your easy chair!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster