I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pc11
Posted by: Jimmy Norris (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 22, 2018 01:24PM

Hello all. My name is Jimmy. I am new to the site and to rod building. I am in ghe process of building my first rod and i am at the point where its time to glue up the reel seat. I forgot to order some rod bond or pro paste. Has anyone ever used just plain epoxy or pc11 epoxy paste for the reel seat? Thanks for the help !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pc11
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2018 02:06PM

Yes just about any 15 minute type epoxy will work because it will be covered up by the reel seat. Paste type epoxies, at least for me, are easier to work with. I recommend at least 15 minute ones because they are not as brittle as the faster 5 minute setting ones. The epoxies that take longer than 15 / 20 minutes give the reel seat too much time to get knocked out of place or move from the desired set position. I just checked out the PC 11 and it looks like an excellent choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 02:08PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2018 02:13PM

Jimmy,
I have used all brands of epoxy to glue up rod handles and have had 0 issues with any of the brands.

Good luck

Posted by: Jimmy Norris (144.46.104.---)
Date: June 22, 2018 02:58PM

Thanks Lance and Roger. This will save me a four day wait for shipment of "rod" glue or a 3hr trip to the nearest custom rod shop. Thanks again!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2018 03:41PM

No, do not use PC11. It's a paste epoxy and tends to be very difficult to keep in the joint unless you have a large gap between the parts, which you shouldn't have.

Find some Devcon 2-Ton epoxy. It's available at most hardware and even some of the large discount stores.

Date: June 22, 2018 03:43PM

Tom. You wouldn't use paste to glue the reel seat?

Date: June 22, 2018 03:58PM

NO. You need a close fitting assembly joined by either a liquid or gel type epoxy. The Paste types are for gap filling. They are way too thick for use on most rod building chores.

Date: June 22, 2018 04:05PM

Makes sense. I had a arbor but when reamed it got way off center so now I am going to do the tape method. I assumed the paste would work best because that's what I have seen most during videos and that's what stores recommend.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 22, 2018 11:47PM

TOM What would you say rod bond is paste or gel ? I looked at it as paste .

William Sidney
AK

Date: June 23, 2018 07:43AM

Rod Bond is considered a gel. It has the consistency of vasoline or such. The paste types are much, much, much thicker and stickier and have no lubricating ability. They are not good for most rod building chores.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 26, 2018 05:08PM

I used to put golf clubs together using a paste type epoxy in very tight joints and it had excellent adhesion especially for metal on metal. Tom does have a point however because the rod building epoxy paste do have better flow capability (lower viscosity) along with a lubricating property for slipping on grips. If you properly apply the the PC 11 it should have a good bond. Don't depend on it to flow or move into place because it is more rigid in this aspect. It will need to make direct contact with both bonding surfaces.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 26, 2018 05:08PM

I used to put golf clubs together using a paste type epoxy in very tight joints and it had excellent adhesion especially for metal on metal. Tom does have a point however because the rod building epoxy paste do have better flow capability (lower viscosity) along with a lubricating property for slipping on grips. If you properly apply the the PC 11 it should have a good bond. Don't depend on it to flow or move into place because it is more rigid in this aspect. It will need to make direct contact with both bonding surfaces.

Posted by: Jimmy Norris (---.sub-174-222-13.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2018 04:42PM

Tom. You were right. The paste wasn’t a good option. I ended up using Loctite Gel epoxy. It worked good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster