I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork handles gluing
Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.hrsnnj.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 10:13PM

I remember reading about using titebond for a cork handle build, which one is best. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork handles gluing
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 10:46PM

Titebond 3 is what I use.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 10:47PM

# 1 titebond III , #2 titebound II , #3 Titebond , they will all work, BUT water prof, is the breaker, read the label , all water clean up ,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 10:49PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 10:48PM

Titebond III or Elmer’s wood glue Max both are waterproof, give excellent bonding, and sand with no problems.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 11:31PM

Fernrando,
For glue up - titebond III or similar water proof wood glue.

For gluing the built up handle on the blank - epoxy.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert Nypaver (---.mnfd.centurylink.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 08:54AM

I build my handles on a 1/4" mandrel. I started with epoxy but, even coating the mandrel with paraffin, I sometimes had trouble getting the handle off of the mandrel. I build mostly centerpin rods with 10-12" rear grips so they are longer than many others. I now use Titebond III. I also find it is easier to ream the cork when using Titebond III than when I used epoxy.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 07:02PM

Again thanks for the input.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2018 11:56AM

Fernando,
In addition to make your reaming job easier, try reaming each piece of cork to the correct size before putting it on your mandrel. i.e. ream each piece of cork to match the diameter of the blank at the location where it is going to be installed.

Then, before putting the cork on the blank build up the mandrel with masking tape to match the diameter of the blank so that each piece of cork fits on the built up mandrel nicely.

Then, go ahead and glue up the cork.

After the glue has dried for 24 hours, slip the grip off of the built up mandrel, and wipe off the wet glue from the built up mandrel. Also, push the mandrel through the inside of the glued up grip to remove any excess still wet adhesive.

Then, set the handle aside off of the mandrel to finish drying out the inside of the grip. Tite bond and similar wood glues cure with air cure. So, if the glue is closed up on the inside of the grip, it doesn't cure completely, very quickly.

By passing the built up mandrel through the center of the inside of the built up handle, the uncured glue will be wiped out and will make it straight forward to put the grip back on the mandrel for shaping.

Also, since each ring is reamed out to match the size of the blank the base mandrel size can be as large as the smallest reamed out hole in the cork ring. i.e. you will likely start with rings with 1/4 inch holes, but you may very well find that with your reaming, you will have the smallest hole reamed to 1/2 inch. That means, that rather than using a mandrel that is 1/4 inch in diameter, you can go up to 1/2 inch in diameter which is a much stiffer mandrel and is nice for stability when shaping some of the larger and or longer handles.

I use mandrels ranging from 1/4 inch, 5/16th inch, 3/8th inch 1/2 inch and 5/8th of an inch. I simply use the largest one that will fit into the smallest hole that i have reamed into any of the cork rings. Then, I use the masking tape to build up the remainder of the mandrel for a nice fit to the ring in question at that spot in the grip.

Good luck

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.access.naxs.com)
Date: June 27, 2018 11:19PM

Gents,
I have seen this discussion many times and I would like to over some technical information . . .Not mine, but from the "Titebond" website. Titebond glues are NOT WATERPROOF, none of them - especially the way we builders would like to see WATERPROOF. They state a "WATERPROOF FORMULA" but If they clean up with water, they are not waterproof...they are water resistant ONLY. Here is cut & pasted info:
LIMITATIONS:
Not for continuous submersion or for use below the waterline. Not for structural or load bearing applications. Use when temperature, glue and materials are above 45°F. Store product below 75°F. Storage above this temperature may cause product to thicken and reduce the usable shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form. Because of variances in the surfaces of treated lumber, it is a good idea to test for adhesion. For best results gluing exterior doors or exotic and oily woods, please contact out Technical Support Team at 1-800-347-4583. Read MSDS before use. KEEP FROM FREEZING. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
PRODUCT FEATURES:
Passes ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance (Read this to fully understand the specification --- Waterproof formula that cleans up with water -

Use two part, 24 hour epoxy and ALL concerns will be no more. How well does cork absorb the water-based adhesive? Is more than one application needed to offer proper adhesion of the mating pieces? Water-based adhesives "cure" by evaporation of the moisture content. How well does the water-based adhesive evaporate the moisture when parts of the grip interior cannot be exposed to an atmosphere that will accept the moisture - EPOXY adhesives have none of these issues.

I have a customer that had his UL Fly rod returned to him by some very thoughtful people (had his name inscribed on it) after being on the bottom of the Shenandoah River here in Virginia for approx 18 months. All items were intact except the finish on the wooden insert in the reel seat. (Not one of mine). Would any of the Titebond glues have lasted that long? I use Titebond II in my wood shop for non fishing endeavors and I use Titebond III for snake skin applications on my custom rods.....beats CP by a mile...

Thanks for reading. Charlie

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.hrsnnj.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 29, 2018 02:38PM

From what I gather, most builds will be saltwater boat, some surf fishing, my best is to use epoxy, correct?

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.access.naxs.com)
Date: July 01, 2018 09:54PM

Fernando,

That is correct. That will remove all doubt. I always build rods so they won't come apart. Which would be bad for business!! I use only the U-40, 24 hour, slow cure type which allows a longer pot life to fit all components together and, in my opinion, may be a bit stronger than the fast-cure epoxies. Some would say the bonding strength of both fast and slow cure epoxy will be the same. Which may be, but to me anything created in haste may be lacking in some quality benefits - so why take the chance. The customer is expecting a rod to last forever, so it is our job to make sure that happens, in all respects - of course, if the customer breaks the rod, we gotta set down and discuss it...!!!

Thanks, Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster