I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy looks lumpy
Posted by: Dondi Rogers (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 05:38PM

Put first coat of ProKote epoxy on casting rod. Using dryer at 9rpm. Applied while turning on dryer. Mix ratio was good. Applied with disposable brush. Never could get it to become uniformly flat, looked lumpy going on, hoped it would even out, but never did. Dried for over 12hrs. Did I put it on too thick? Mix was room temperature when mixed. Is there a secret to get a nice even flat coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy looks lumpy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2018 06:11PM

Yes, do less. Don't try to manipulate the epoxy. I'll bet the epoxy in your mixing cup leveled nicely.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 18, 2018 06:17PM

Yes..........it did.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 06:34PM

Dondi,
As Mr. Kirkman suggested - Do LESS

I apply the finish on a fast turning rod. Generally the rod will be spinning at a speed of 20-200 rpm.
When I apply finish with a disposable bruch, I just bring the brush close to the rod and let the rod pull the finish off of the brush. I seldom touch the finish after that.

I quickly apply finish to all parts of the rod needing finish from butt wraps to guides to tip top if needed.

Then, I go back over each finish location with a heat gun with the rod turning more slowly at about 20 rpm, to insure that the finish has spread nicely and is filling all required areas. By using a bit of gentle heat, the finish becomes about as thin as water and nicely spreads and fills where needed.

After going from the tip to the butt wrap, I will go back over all of the wraps one more time, dabbing a bit more finish on any areas needing finish - if any - and when satisfied with a close well lighted examination with a magnifying head band - will turn off the lights and leave it for an over night drying cycle.

Since I use standard flex coat, the finish covers well in one coat and normally, I never have to put on any added finish and the rod is complete after the single application of finish and an overnight drying cycle.

The key is to work quickly, but do NOT work the epoxy. Epoxy of the correct thickness will level perfectly and will give you a perfect job with little to no brushing.

Good luck

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 06:43PM

Dondi

ProKote calls it medium viscosity - it's more like lite, very lite. It rarely covers in a single application and sometimes it requires three. The trick is to apply very thin coats until the depth of finish desired is achieved.

The cure time is very long even at 70 degrees. The extended cure time is the price we pay for an extended open time.

And by the way, even though you need to apply very thin coats, turning by hand for about 30 minutes beyond the open time does wonders.

Date: June 18, 2018 08:15PM

Thanks guys for the advice. Know that it will be heeded. May I ask, what is your preferred epoxy (name brand) to use?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 09:28PM

I use the medium viscosity ProKote. I like its longer open time, and bubbles are a non issue.

Everyone has their favorite, and all brands ultimately do the same thing. Some a bit quicker and some,, like ProKote,, a little slower.

Buy a small quantity of several brands and viscosity, make test wraps on scrape blanks or dowels, and you'll find one that fits you. .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 10:43PM

As I work slow, I only mix a 2 CC an do a little at a time , lots of time I will throw have of it away , an start over

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 11:03PM

Over the years, I have tried most brands of finish epoxy and they are all pretty good and it depends on what characteristics you like. For me I like Threadmaster regular. I like it’s shorter pot life and cure time, which is just fine with me. In my opinion, it gives a harder and more durable finish, seems to yellow less, and is more forgiving to small measuring errors than the others I have used.
Norm

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2018 04:53PM

i like threadmaster regular epoxy vs the prokote .
for your ' lumpy' issue in the future….once aplied, evenly heat it with a heat gun, any excess will try and drip off the bottom of blank while turning. simply run your brush laterally along the drips to remove the excess, then hit it again lightly with the heat gun.

Date: June 20, 2018 05:25PM

Bill,
Just out of curiosity, why do you apply finish slowly?

Be safe

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 20, 2018 05:34PM

Hello Roger.

I think Bill believes HE works Slow in general.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 20, 2018 09:12PM

No problem. What ever works for the individual.

Everyone is different.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 21, 2018 04:11PM

I am just slow at it Robert , most of the time I do 1 fly rods a section at a time , this is not a side job it is a past time , to me

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 21, 2018 04:56PM

Hello Bill.

No one ever called me Speedy either, I hit 60 in January and have slowed down quite a bit.

I used to sell to some boat captains in the area, and some friends, I mostly just piddle anymore.

I'm still learning new stuff all the time, everything changes.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster