I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hitena USA Thread
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 17, 2018 11:55AM

I received the small sample spools of free thread and have been able to use it on several guide repairs.

My thread tensioner utilizes two round discs to apply pressure to the thread
that occasionally results in thread "fuzzies". I found none at all with the
black sample of the Hitena thread.

Packing of the thread was much easier and appears to be much tighter than other
threads I have used. The true test is once the thread epoxy is applied but I
expect to see a superior seal. I was not disappointed once the epoxy was applied.

I trim my thread with a single edge razor blade and again often get fuzzies even
with a new blade. None appeared when I cut the Hitena thread.

So, my initial reaction is that this may be the best wrapping thread I have used
in twenty years.

I have subsequently ordered the special 17 spool pack from Hitena and shipping was very quick. There are some interesting names to the thread colors and the standard colors look very nice. I plan on using a couple of them to do a complete rod for a local group involved in "Take a Vet Fishing" organization. The rod will be a free raffle to the vets.

Looking forward to wrapping a complete rod, I have a feeling that I will be a pleasure to use this thread.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hitena USA Thread
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 17, 2018 02:21PM

Right on on that statement about Hitena thread an fast service as well , they don't drag there feet to get it into the mail , they have small 30 yard samples that are free [ 2 spools ]
as well as samples of there line . as far as I can tell there line is great ,
PS there special on there wrap thread is out standing to get a spool of the colors on sale , 17 spools on the special sale ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 17, 2018 03:27PM

I also like the thread a lot , works fantastic and the finished product comes out great .

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-128.myvzw.com)
Date: June 17, 2018 06:00PM

Since this is stretchy thread, do you set your thread tensioner the same as no stretch thread?

Date: June 18, 2018 12:25AM

to give you a correct answer, all I can say is get some samples an go to it , you have not lost a thing but a little time , the thread is great as I see it .
once you have placed your order [ free thread] will be in your hand in less than a 7 days most of the time in less than 4 , at least that is what I get it in the far north West corner
of the USA every person is a little different on wrapping guides, you will be happy with the results as every one is that I know of ,

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 12:29AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-128.myvzw.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 12:49AM

I ordered the 17 spool pack anyway, i figured for that price what the heck as i'm sure i'm going to like it. I have only built 3 rods so im not set in my way's yet...lol

Date: June 18, 2018 12:15PM

Bruce you can't go wrong with your selection it is great thread, you get fast service from them , this is a ++ for me ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 12:17PM

Bruce, I did not reset the tension on my wrapping device, if this is appreciably stretchier thread, I did not notice it. Although I do occasionally have to change the setting when using metallic trim thread, when resetting it is anyone's guess how close I dial it back to the original spot, it's the old hand grenade and horseshoe answer.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 01:55PM

Agree, this is excellent thread. I've only used "D" in black for my saltwater rods and have been very pleased. The thread stretch allows the tag end to retract cleanly without fuzz when cut with a new razor blade. Also I really like the bright black color when coated with epoxy- none of the dull or slightly "grayish" caste with some of the other black thread I've tried. Good stuff!

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-132.myvzw.com)
Date: June 21, 2018 01:59PM

Got my order today, plus they sent me a sample of there silky thread, going to need magnifying glass to see that to install and try. Now to order a rod to build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster