I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Star blank?
Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: June 14, 2018 05:54AM

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a blank that has that slow, parabolic action of the old star rods. I’ve “guesstimated” twice, and guessed wrong. (I did learn that just because it says moderate/slow action, doesn’t always mean parabolic)

I did a search before posting, and didn’t see anything pop up. Forgive me if this is a double post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Star blank?
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2018 03:14PM

and this blank you seek is for what style of fishing ? you have to provide enough information so any of us can give you solid ideas of what would work

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Ken Patek (---.sub-174-228-18.myvzw.com)
Date: June 15, 2018 03:21PM

Matthew Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and this blank you seek is for what style of
> fishing ? you have to provide enough information
> so any of us can give you solid ideas of what
> would work

For one customer, a “boat rod” for Tarpon. For another, to pull up grouper.

My question was meant to be “generic” I may be being a little presumptuous in thinking there is a blank company that makes blanks similar to the older Star Rods. Either way, both customers like the parabolic/extra-slow action those older Star rods have and I was asked to try and match them. Without being able to get my hands on blanks to check them out, I have to rely on the specs for the blank’s themselves. So far I’ve been wrong, twice. For example, the Calstar 610 blank is listed as moderate action, but it’s more “fast” in my opinion.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2018 04:37PM

yes you will not find anything close as the tech has changed immensely in relation to action and power of blanks the days of slow action are mostly gone and the parabolic action has been engineered out of a blanks so that there is better line control and increasing casting distance. I get the fact that these are boat rods and in that area they have done the same taken out the slow action/parabolic bending in the rod to improve line control that keeps the line from rubbing against the blank so you will have to let your customer know that what they want no longer is in the market place Graphite has taken over and the best you can do is to check out a hybrid graphite& glass blended blank and you might then get close. other than some of the old style glass fly blanks still available
Good luck in your quest

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 15, 2018 04:57PM

Boat style rods for Tarpon and Grouper huh , well as much as i despise rods that are "Slow" i think the below may suit you because RodGeeks mentions "Slow" .

Yes, some of the 8’ X-Comps weigh less than their respective counterparts in the 7’3” lengths. The data on our website is correct. We spent over 18 months gathering feedback from fishermen and rodmakers to perfect these blanks, and the feedback was consistent: “make the actions slower”.

We accomplished this by taking a lot of material out of the middle of the blanks- the backbone section of the 8’ X-comps is approximately 32” – 35” up from the butt, while the 7’3” X-Comps have a lot of backbone 45” up from the butt. The 8’ models are similar in power and ratings to the 7’3” blanks, but the power is located lower in the blank. This is why some 8’ blanks are lighter than the corresponding 7’3” models.

Recommendations - The 8’ models can be used to fish for a lot of popular species. This will help you to choose the right blank for your build:

XC802 - fluke, light blackfish, striped bass, reds, snook, tarpon
XC803 - blackfish, striped bass, tarpon, kingfish, cobia
XC804 - blackfish, striped bass, tarpon, kingfish, cobia, snapper, grouper
XC805 - deep water blackfish, cod, pollack, kingfish, grouper
XC806 - cod, pollack, grouper, tilefish

Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: June 15, 2018 07:49PM

Good stuff. Thank you for the replies!!

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 15, 2018 11:05PM

Ken , i think the ratings of "moderate fast" on all the X comp blanks may not be accurate since RodGeeks did put a lot of effort into making certain models much slower with a deep bend which your clients seem to be asking about so asking either RogGeeks or Billy Vivona directly about that would get you the most accurate info as to which ones might or might not fit the bill.

Apparently those rods sell like crazy so many do seem to like the much slower action..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster