I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for help on mono/micro guide size...
Posted by: Chuck Gray (32.214.31.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 08:10PM

looking for the maximum line size that will pass through a micro guide and still cast/pitch an exceptable distance? I know this is a loaded question as far as distance is concerned. What minimum size micro would be recommended for 15 lb, 20 lb and 25 lb mono? Thanks for all replies!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for help on mono/micro guide size...
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 12, 2018 08:48PM

It's not as much about the micros, it's about the reduction train. I would start with the running guide size of about 5 minimum (it they would pass any knots you may want to use) and then try to find a reduction train that will work. I wouldn't even consider trying to make 20 or 25 work (on a spin setup),and 15 would take pretty large guides, like 30-20-10 or something like that. For these tests, why mono?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 12, 2018 09:04PM

Casting rod? 4's should work, I'd use 5's which really aren't micros.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 09:08PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 09:51PM

3’s will easily handle all u have listed.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 09:54PM

3’s will easily handle all u have listed in a casting situation

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2018 10:48PM

Agree on 3's, would suggest going to a 6 ring tip top however on the 20 and 25 mono as the line bends there and can drag a bit through a 4 ring tip top. You can put 50 lb. Big Game through a 3 ring guide with room to spare. Tests done by others show that with braid at least the smaller 3 ring guide will out perform a larger guide in a pitching presentation.

Posted by: Chuck Gray (---.wallingford.k12.ct.us)
Date: June 13, 2018 08:48AM

thanks for the replies, yes, its for a casting rod. Thanks again!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2018 09:50AM

Chuck,

These renderings by Mike Harris should tell you all you need to know. To give you an idea of how much bulk can pass through a micro guide: I don't float fish often, so it's kind of an afterthought on my builds, but I can easily cast a well trimmed nail knot bobber stop on 6 lb. mono through 3mm guides. If you don't trim the tag ends close with scissors, it's a no go, but trim them down to about 1/8" or less, and it passes great.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

For more reading on micros, dig up the old Micro Maniacs or M & M's threads. There are 6 or 8 of them from the early days of micros that are very enlightening.

Unless you are passing bulky leader connections, you will have no problem. Look at the level wind on your casting reel, I bet it has something comparable (at least in width) to a 4 mm guide. If you can pass heavy mono through it, you can pass it through the guides on the rod just fine.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2018 01:35PM

Chuck,
If you do not pass knots and are using braid, you can use size 2 micros on every rod.

But, if you are running mono, and or want to pass knots and or swivels, you need to go larger.

I generally use nothing smaller than a size 4, since I really see no advantage to go any smaller than that. For many folks, going smaller than a size 4 leads to issues with threading line, knots, swivels and similar issues.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.56.30.---)
Date: June 13, 2018 03:43PM

I totally agree with Roger. "I generally use nothing smaller than a size 4, since I really see no advantage to go any smaller than that.".

'

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 13, 2018 05:25PM

Fuji themselves recommend not going smaller than a size 4 as they have also stated that they haven't noticed any additional benefit and think going smaller may actually cause more problems .

Posted by: Todd Redman (---.vicmesh.com.au)
Date: June 13, 2018 11:11PM

If using braid to mono leader, tying the FG Knot will enable you to keep running guide sizes small. This knot is a game changer IMHO - and reduces issues at the reduction train also.

Todd.

Posted by: Chuck Gray (---.wallingford.k12.ct.us)
Date: June 14, 2018 10:21AM

Great info, thanks again, appreciate the knowledge all of you shared!

Chuck

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2018 07:32PM

Fuji does not see improved results smaller then 4's

But I have done much testing with 1.5's- 2's.- 2.5's- 3's-and 3.5's
With different results. that have showed marked improvements in performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 07:33PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2018 11:16AM

Steve,
Read and understood.
But, what is your definition of "marked improvements in performance"?

i.e. what is your measuring stick when you are checking out rods with different guide trains?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster