I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel to go with my new 8wt rod
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (107.77.89.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:29PM

Im not sure if I can ask but I know we've got some serious fly rod guys here so I'm reaching out for some guidance. I have a 9' 8wt I just completed. The blank and components were traded to me. I am going to be learning on this rod so I really don't want to drop a fortune on a reel. But.... I dont want something that will cause me to not enjoy my fly rod either. What is out there that is reasonably priced ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel to go with my new 8wt rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:56PM

A 9' 8 wt is a heavy fresh water and light salt water stick, so it depends on where you'll be fishing and for what. For black bass you don't need a top of the line reel as the fight, while sometimes intense, is relatively short and rarely if ever will you be into the backing. On the other end of the scale there are salt flats fish and others that will get into the backing during a longer, extended fight.

You tell us. For what and where will you be fishing the 8 weight?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:03PM

Depends on what you will use your rod for. If you use it for trout, bass - freshwater fish - a click pawl drag will do fine and shouldn't cost you more than $125. If you go after salt-water fish, anadromous spawning fish, big carp or muskies you might want to get a large-spool disk-drag reel capable of holding a full #9 floating line and 75 yards or so of #30 backing.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (107.77.89.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:21PM

Thanks. I will be fishing bass, pike and maybe musky

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:27PM

Lamson Guru II will handle anything fishable with this rod and costs about $250. For fresh water you can go with less, but if you want also to be able to go salt, the Lamson is a very capable reel at a reasonable price.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:59PM

Look at one of the Pfleuger reels. It's the same reel as sold by many others at about 1/2 to 1/3rd the price.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 10:31PM

I am an avid fly fisherman and fish everything from Trout to Tarpon. On my 8 wts I use a Galvan, a very nice reel with a good drag system.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 11:25PM

a reel for general use you can't go wrong for Okuma fly reels, all big big box stores sporting goods have them, even wall- mart, less than $100.00 most of the time [ sales ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 12:05AM

The Pfleugers are indeed nice reels, but I got to use a Orvis Hydros SL reel last month and it's the best I've used for under $400-500. Has a really great drag, attached to a less perfect, small, kinda wierd drag knob. Other than that, I think it's top shelf. $ 250 range.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.tmodns.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:38AM

X2 Galvan Torque 8 great drag, nice size spool, American made and I have killed a lot of fish with mine (I do practice catch and release but man has to eat). For the budget minded and the most bang for the buck Lamson Liquid 3 pack. You get a complete reel and two extra spools so you can have a floating line and a sinking line and a one over or one under size for whatever you need it for. The only difference between it and the other Lamson reel is that they are cast aluminum and not CNC Machined but you still get the Lamson drag (that is really all a good fly reel needs) that they use on all their reels from the cheapest to the most expensive. For between $170 and $190 you get basically 3 reels for one and a carry bag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 11:52AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:49AM

Mark,
My first choice would be a Ross.
Good value, very reliable.
Several models available under $200.
Go with a disc drag with a spool dia approx. 3-1/2"
Gene

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:56PM

Honestly, the Pfeuger reels are ok but long term junk throwaways. Okuma are also OK. Both work ok for a time. So if you are not sure that fly fishing an 8wt is your future, these will work.

If your 8wt fly fishing is a longer term thing, you'll want a better reel. The Galvan Torque is a GREAT reel. Backed up with GREAT service. Upper end Lamsons are good, Bauers are really good, Lots of good reels out there. I'm partial to Galvans, which are uniformly excellent. I have no experience with Ross reels but the Made in USA ones have a good rep. So hard to go wrong.

For the original posters needs, I might look at the "Piscifun" on Amazon which gets you a machined Aluminum reel with (supposedly) decent drag for $50. It's full on China stuff, but by reputation not too bad.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2018 10:41AM

I have fished the Pfleugers hard, fresh and saltwater, for years on end. Not a single problem to report. Of course, I'm talking about the models in the $100 range, not the $35 stuff.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 08, 2018 11:37AM

While fishing tackle manufacturers in the U.S.A. are close to extinction fishing tackle importers are flourishing. You may have noticed how few fishing products have "Made in America" labels [vs. assembled in America labels]. Importers profit most by selling you the product name, not the product. Identical or nearly identical imported products vary wildly in price according to name/label, advertising, and packaging. I'm looking at a fly fishing catalog offering "nippers" - simplified fingernail clippers - for $165.00! Little wonder fly-fishers are satirized as poseurs.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2018 09:38AM

Thank you all for the input. You sure helped narrow it down.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2018 09:48AM

I agree with Tom, I know people in Alaska that guide that have used the higher end Pfleugers exclusively. You think about it, compared to spinning and casting reels what is so hard to engineer about a fly reel? Centerpin and salmon mooching reels are just heavier framed fly reels to protect the frames from mono damage.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 10, 2018 02:46PM

As you can see the Fly reels run the spectrum from moderate to $$$$ , the $$$$ end are great reels it all depends on what you are going to fish, & can spend, $ or $$$$ it is up to you
the $ will last a long time with just about no drag to the $$$$ the drag that will stop the biggest fish , [ if you can hold on ] , go cheep an try it out, if it don't work for you then get the better reel with the best drag , what ever you do, do it fast as summer is here, an the fish are biting , [ I think, good luck ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Linda Vance (206.127.76.---)
Date: June 11, 2018 08:56PM

I fish for speckled sea trout, redfish and flounder with my 8 weights. I agree the Lamson Guru is a great freshwater reel for the money, and the Piscifun saltwater models (which I use on a 7 weight) have held up remarkably well. But for an all-around great reel, I wouldn't look beyond the Allen Kraken. At $239, with a sealed drag, this is the reel to beat. And the customer service you get from Allen is unparalleled. I have two Krakens, with 4 spools, and that covers my 7, 8 and 9 weight floating lines plus an 8 weight intermediate sinking. One of the things that has frustrated me with Lamsons is that they push multiple generations of a reel with minor changes, but changes enough that you can't find a spare spool for the model you have. Allen's Kraken has stayed in production for years, and when I need a new spool, I can find it. I have pulled in some seriously big and unwilling fish with the Kraken and it has never failed me. After a couple of hundred saltwater fishing days, when I started having trouble with the drag, I sent it back to Allen and they replaced the drag at no cost.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 09:11PM

Cheeky boost or Qualifly Maverick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster