I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar RT80 Sword Rod
Posted by: Frank Tropepe (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 12:47PM

Been searching for some answers that have been hard to come by. Seeing if anyone can help me out here. RT80 rod which is going to be 60" from tip to ferrule. Rod is 5' 6" stock so needs a little trimming. Going to take most off the bottom but wondering if anyone has built a sword rod and how much they took off the tip if any? Weight used is 10-12lbs of lead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar RT80 Sword Rod
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 02:22PM

I suspect they have the profile of a cue stick?

Date: June 06, 2018 02:47PM

Pretty close.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.56.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 04:06PM

Go for the RT130 instead. I suspect your choice will suffice though. I wouldn't trim from the bottom. Is there a reason for trimming?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 06:11PM

instead of doing all that cutting and guessing, couldn't you nust use something like the Rainshadow Stubbies, 42 1/2" long in stock form. Comes in 50, 80, and 130 lb. line class. A bunch cheaper also I bet than a Calstar.

Date: June 06, 2018 08:57PM

Looking for a 60" length without the bent butt attached. Cost really isn't the issue. We are mounting a 5k dollar reel.

Date: June 06, 2018 08:59PM

I will look at the 130. I talked with Calstar today and they recommend the 80 based on the 10-12lb of lead we are using. I also found a few other threads online where builders were using the 80. The 80 is 5' 6". Looking for a 60" rod without the bent butt attached. It will be around 7' with bent butt. Any longer than that is a bit excessive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 09:00PM by Frank Tropepe.

Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (12.10.199.---)
Date: June 11, 2018 03:40PM

Frank,
IMO the Rt130 is going way to stout for swordfish you’ll end up pulling hooks on them. I’ve built them on the RT80 72” with a Aftco UB6 unibutt. With the longer blank the rod flexes more and results in less pulled hooks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster