I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap
Posted by: James R Gross (---.sub-174-219-19.myvzw.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 03:37PM

Just wondering if anyone has only used three guides to transition around the blank. I am also wondering if I should use the same size guides for the spiral wrap. Guide charts show me staring with a size 12 guide. I have seen in articles with starting at zero with first guide. Has anyone started at 10 degrees.and went to 60, 120, and 180.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.37.---)
Date: June 04, 2018 04:05PM

You can do it in one guide, search simple spiral.

Posted by: James R Gross (---.sub-174-217-41.myvzw.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 04:06PM

Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2018 04:10PM

Actually, the Simple Spiral has zero transition guides. Sometimes folks will add one at 90 degrees, but this is not a guide to transition the line - it is just there to keep the line from rubbing on the blank as it goes from the top to bottom guide. The spacing of the top and bottom guide would be the same whether you put that "bumper" guide in there or not.

Otherwise there are lots of spiral systems and any and all number of transition guides can be used. Some use just one at 90 degrees. Some use two and some use three. The O'Quinn Spiral makes all the guides transition guides, from butt to tip. So in the long run, there are many ways to do this and most all work. If you have an idea, mock it up and go out and try it.

Posted by: James R Gross (---.sub-174-217-41.myvzw.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 04:15PM

Thanks

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 08:41AM

In the last rod maker mag Rich ForhaM mentioned that he built a true spiral..the line was guided around the rod one and one half times and he did not see any loss in casting distance conpared to a standard rod..i hope he used the new tangle free guides..lol.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 03:16PM

If you are using a level wind reel your first guide from it may be 10 degrees the opposite direction of the spiral for the line to lay down evenly on the spool. I did that with my X comp build so I can use both kinds of reels and I like the line to lay in the middle of a non level wind reel anyways. On that build I went from a 16mm down to a 12,10 to 8. I would have changed anything I would skip the 12mm size and go to 10 or possibly right to 8mm the running guide size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 12:37AM by David Miller.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.56.30.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:15PM

I like the RV 6, it has the height you need and yes you can offset the stripper but you want to make sure it level winds back on the spool evenly. Sometimes it will try to pile up on on one side of the spool more, even with a level wind if you offset that top guide (stripper). Just dry fit everything and let a lot of line out and wind it back in a few times to see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster