I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Factory Blanks
Posted by: Sam Lavigne (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 03:42PM

Hello I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding OAEM Factory blanks...do the majority of the companies that sell rods simply use factory blanks ? Or do they manufactur their own graphite blanks? I have been building rods for few ew years now and would like to start selling some if possible but I want to have my mind wrapped around the market before I start buying blanks. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Factory Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2018 04:18PM

The vast majority of companies that sell fishing rods do not manufacture their own blanks, nor even build their own rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 04:51PM

Each company that buys blanks from a common source, be it on, or offshore have their own proprietory mandrel and graphite layups. Kistler for instance gets some of their blanks from Noth Fork Composites. Batson has blanks built both on and offshore depending on the series and price point, and some graphites made are not allowed to be sold to China if that is where the blanks come from.

Date: June 03, 2018 06:36PM

So Spencer do companies buy Batson blanks and label the as there own rods then??

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 08:25PM

Sam

Don't get hung up on brand, manufacturer, retailer name, white label arrangements, etc. Take all marketing claims and advertising copy with a big dose of salt.

Think about what you are buying when you purchase a blank. In no special order of importance, it's taper, material, length, number of pieces, quality of construction, and to a much lesser extent, warranty, that determines the suitability of a specific blank for a specific task.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 08:45PM

I don't know, you'll have to ask Batson, wouldn't surprise me. I don't use just my own label, I also put the blank manufacturers label on for warranty purposes if nothing else. A very large Cabelas order got G. Loomis off the ground when it first started.

Date: June 03, 2018 08:54PM

Don and Spencer thank you both for the insight, very helpful... my concern is whether or not I would be getting in trouble by putting my label on someone else’s blank. I suppose I would be fine as long as I’m not advertising the blank as my own. I’m putting the cart before the horse as i haven’t even started building these yet but just trying to get my ducks in a row. Thanks again.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 03, 2018 09:54PM

Most custom builders put their label on the blank with the name of their outfit such as Lavigne custom rods so if thats what you're talking about it's not an issue at all . Most custom builders also build on a variety of different blanks and the customer will often choose the brand of blank he wants the rod to be built on or simply tell the builder what he is looking for and the builder will choose what blank fits best.

Date: June 04, 2018 01:24AM

Thanks Herb. Good to know.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 08:51AM

Sam,

Adding to this conversation ….

One of the issues you may run into is the "middle man" when it comes to some blanks. It took some research for me to find the same blank I was buying from a place that I paid a decent amount for and was able to find after in-depth research for a substantial difference in price. This can be really advantageous if Company A is selling the blank for $100 dollars and Company B is selling the exact blank for $35 dollars. I have seen blanks come from places where I paid a lot more for the blank with the exact, shall we say, "factory markings" on a blank that I bought from the manufacturer of the blank itself after I found them thru research. I make a lot of "show" rods that I use as "this is what I can do" and 8 times out of 10, people like that rod but the other people will either say its "too stiff" or "not stiff enough".

That is usually when I ask them to tell me the EXACT numbers, if possible, that are on the rod that they like and are using right now and that helps me nail down what they are looking to get. If they tell me the rod is, for example, 6' 6" rod suggesting 6 to 17 lb. line, to me, that a medium heavy action rod. If you can find a blank with those specs, you pretty much nailed it. When I found my blank supplier, I bought one of each, 6' Medium action, 6' Medium Heavy, 6' Heavy action and bought three other blanks in each of the 6' 6" foot, 7' foot and 7' 6" as well for a total of 12 blanks. I take all of those to a show with me and if they like a 6 foot rod I have but say its either too stiff or not stiff enough, no doubt one of the blanks I have is to their liking. If they tell me they are using an Ugly Stick, that's a whole different scenario!

You can also find a blank manufacturer that will work with you. I have a guy that sells me beach rod blanks at a real nice price because, being where he is located, he wanted to get some of his blanks into the Florida market and being in Cape Canaveral, the Pompano Fishing Capital Of The World (as some people say!) it was a win - win for the both of us.

As far as putting your name on any blank, I have never had an issue.

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: June 04, 2018 11:20AM

Sam,

I can help you get your own blanks!

Give me a call or drop me an email

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster