I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamondback VSR Guide Spacing
Posted by: Chris Wikel (207.144.7.---)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:30AM

I have a 10ft 6wt Diamondback VSR DGS800 rod that I am trying to determine the original guide spacing as I suspect it's been altered before I came across it. Any insight you can give along to include the original type/size of guides used would be helpful! Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamondback VSR Guide Spacing
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 03:56PM

even though they are a discontinued model have you tried to contact Cortland ??
how many sections is it and can you see where the old guides were ??

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2018 12:03AM

I have a 9 Ft. VSR 5/6 here, I imagine the guide sizes would be the same. You've got a well respected stillwater trout rod there, as is the 9 Ft version.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2018 09:49AM

Without referring to charts and formulas is there any way to just look at a rod under strain to determine ideal guide placements? What would be the critical thing to look for?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2018 12:33PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without referring to charts and formulas is there
> any way to just look at a rod under strain to
> determine ideal guide placements? What would be
> the critical thing to look for?

That's what all custom builders should be shooting for - it's the only way to taylor a guide set-up for a particular rod blank. Instructions on what you're looking for when doing a static distribution test are in the online library.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2018 05:12PM

So much for my hopes of finding a one-size-fits-all guide placement table - like manufactured rods have. But then if I built out a blank using the manufacturer's guide placements I would be building a copy of a manufactured rod, ignoring how and what the rod will be used for, guide selection, guide spacing, and type of line flowing through the guides. Unless the custom rod's buyer wants to use the rod only for decoration or bragging I imagine he or she would specify line type and #test of line, target species, fishing method [bobber?] rod components: grip and reel seat, etc.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2018 09:57PM

It's worse than you think - many manufacturers still use the guide spacing chart published by Fenwick way back in the 1970's, with no tweaking or tuning for their specific models. There can never be a "one size fits all" guide placement table until there is a "one size fits all" blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2018 08:06AM

Chris,
I respect your effort. But for what purpose?

You have a rod, that you want to use, sell or hang on a wall. If you take the rod and it doesn't cast the way that you want it to cast, cut the guides off, and reposition the guides, or tie on a new set that suits you.

But, if you are a historic restorer of fine objects, and want the rod for a perfect display model, by all means continue the search.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster