I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracking epoxy
Posted by: Zach Moore (---.sub-174-233-0.myvzw.com)
Date: May 29, 2018 10:44AM

Hello all,I am new to rod building and recently just completed my first few personal builds. They were 7’ 40-80lb and 50-100lb blanks with alps hxn guides. On my first couple days I landed a couple dozen fish ranging from 80-400lbs. The rods performed great but upon further inspection there is some small hairline cracks in the epoxy at the end of the guide feet on 3 out of 4 rods. I used two different brands of epoxy(2 rods with one brand 2 with the other),4-5 coats, the epoxy had cured 2-4 weeks before the rods were fished, there was an underwrap with a coat of epoxy under the guides. Then the first three guides were triple wrapped and the remaining guides were double wrapped. I did not file the guide feet. Is that what is more than likely causing the cracking?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracking epoxy
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 10:57AM

Did you use CP or no CP thred? CP prevents the epoxy from penetrating the threads and so it just set on top of the threads making it more prone to cracking.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2018 11:10AM

This is common particularly as guides get larger and stiffer. You can mitigate the cracking somewhat by using a bit more thread tension and making sure to taper the ends of the guide feet to a very shallow angle.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 11:16AM

Hello Zach.

Tom is 100% right.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Zach Moore (---.sub-174-233-0.myvzw.com)
Date: May 29, 2018 01:17PM

Thanks gentleman that is some good info! I did not use cp, just colorfast thread. I had had someone tell me wrapping it a bit looser not only helps you align the guides but also lets the epoxy penetrate better. So I will file down the feet next time and apply more thread tension!

Is it an unrealistic expectation to have no epoxy cracking over time? From looking at every production rod I own they all have cracked epoxy It’s something I never once noticed until I started building rods But I am uncertain if it is something inevitable when you are building big game rods. .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 01:52PM

I am not sure but when EPOXY is dry it is hard , an when the rod bends the epoxy also bends some , an that equates to cracks in the epoxy , I think . it happen's on the heaver
rods with big fish , not the lighter rods , as you said you got into some large fish on your trip , could be wrong ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 02:34PM

Zach..something you may consider is to add one or two more guides to your next build instead of doing the same number as the commercial people especially since they are cracking too..this has been of benefit to me with all rods, use more guides than commercial and no more cracking even with CP..more guides to share the load..lesser load per guide to crack the finish and may add to the rods fish fighting ability..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 02:56PM

Zach,
You can try one thing on one of the rods that has shown signs of cracking.
i.e. put on one more coat of finish, and since the cracking has occurred; perhaps it will fill the cracks and preclude further cracking.

As I said, test one rod to see if it is of any help or not.

Good luck

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 03:58PM

Zach

You mentioned under wrap, although I am not a fan of under wrap for big game rods but they are nice on light action rods. To me the under wrap may provide a cushioned or soft layer between the guide and the blank which could allow some movement of the guide and the most logical place for the epoxy to crack would be at the guide ends. If under wrap is necessary saturate the thread with a thin coat of finish before putting on the guide to minimize this cushion..
Also, take the time to round out the bottom of the guides to fit the contour of the blank, this will help to keep the guide from moving or twisting.

John

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 04:42PM

The colorfast thread (or noCP) also doesn’t allow the epoxy to penetrate to the bank, thus cracking becomes more likely. Not all the time just more likely. The only time I have had cracking epoxy problems have been when I used CP on regular thread or noCP thread. The cracking will allow moisture to penetrate and may cause guide ft to corrode and discolor the wrap. Another coat of epoxy may help,but no guarantee.
Norm

Posted by: Zach Moore (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2018 10:21PM

When you grind or file down guide feet do you guys do anything to recoat the guide feet to prevent future corrosion to a degree?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 03:26PM

Hello Zach.

Yes I Paint them unless it's a clear wrap then I use clear fingernail polish.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster