I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UV Head Glue for wraps?
Posted by: Zach Haddock (---.mci.googlefiber.net)
Date: May 21, 2018 04:20PM

Anyone every used UV head glue for wraps? I was tying some flies last night and it dawned on me. I'm going to try some on some scrap blanks but it levels out well when rotated and is clear. You could knock out a rod fast. I just don't know about the durability of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UV Head Glue for wraps?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2018 04:55PM

It's been discussed here many times so a search might turn up the information you're looking for. And, of course, you can always try it and see for yourself.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2018 05:36PM

some use it to tack down thin trim bands and other decorative wraps and it works great if you DON"T try to use Color preserver after you finish the rest of the wrap it will leave that spot a little darker than the rest of the wrap thread.
I doesn't affect the final epoxy finish coating.
The key is not to use Color preserve after using it to tack down a thread. Never gave it a try with NCP thread might be different result with that thread. as a final finish I wouldn't use it as the head of a fly doesn't flex like a rod does could split or chip.
best you can do it to try it and see if it would stand up to being flexed.

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2018 04:05PM

Just make sure you use the new {Tack-Free} I used the Solarez thin on guides wraps on a white blank, The customer did not want epoxy that would yellow over time! on a white blank. Color preserver was used first.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 22, 2018 08:43PM

I know the color preserver will help the wrap an the SOLAREZ [ I don't know never used it ] it is used in place of Flex coat ?? yes ?? the web say's it is a DRUG ???????? help
SPELLING ?????

William Sidney
AK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2018 08:47PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Tony Tomanek (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2018 12:28PM

I've noticed that a couple of wraps that I have recently completed have a slight "yellowing" after the epoxy cures. Wondering if the epoxy is aged. I mixed up a batch and just let it dry in the cup and it definitely has a slight cast. Not perfectly clear.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 23, 2018 08:55PM

Bill Sidney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know the color preserver will help the wrap an
> the SOLAREZ [ I don't know never used it ] it is
> used in place of Flex coat ?? yes ?? the web
> say's it is a DRUG ???????? help
> SPELLING ?????

Bill it worked good just practice first! Yes it was for the wraps as well as his business label, and some open cross wraps he wanted. It was costumer supplied as well as the UV flashlight, The build was on a white rod, And he did not want epoxy because the last one he had built the epoxy turned Yellow against the white blank. and yes you can work with it under florescent lighting with out setting up [solarez.com] I may order some hard thick and do a mix of the 2 to get a bit more body to it, I used 2 coats on his build, If it was just a wee bit thicker one coat would work real well I believe. Their are others uv resins out their but most all have a Tacky feel to them after curing, This stuff does not it's Smooth hard and glass clear. He runs Muskie {Jigging only} charters on the Detroit river, with HUGE heavy baits, So it will get a work-out. If it holds up, He said he will keep in touch with me. cheers jaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster