I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide placement: line hitting hand
Posted by: Chris Morilla (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2018 07:11PM

I am new to building my own rods and have run into a problem while static testing a united composites ce700h. Im using fuji kw guides with a size 20 stripper and 9 inch fore grip. Seems like no matter where I move the stripper guide, the line hits my hand when the rod has a deep bend. From reading the other thread, a taller stripper guide is the answer, but a size 25 kw is quite a bit bigger than the 20 and I think it will look funny.

Any guide suggestions for making the KW guides work, or is it better to switch to a taller framed guide for this set up? The fuji MN 20 is only slightly taller than the kw 20 so I am thinking I will run into the same issue. I have a couple pictures, but not sure how to post them here. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide placement: line hitting hand
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2018 10:02PM

Chris, where is the 20 guide? On a boat rod getting the guide closer to the reel and fore grip will sometimes cure your problem. Puts a steeper angle on things.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 07:59AM

Chris,
No issue at all to use a tall size 25 or 30 stripper if you need the height.

Or, as Spencer suggested, try moving the stripper.

Good luck

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 02:33PM

Your gonna have to break up that KW party and throw in a double footed concept, high framed, #10 to to get the line up off hand with a 9" fore grip. If its bending that much into the butt , you may want choose another blank if your not willing to accept a party crasher.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 19, 2018 03:11PM

Messed around with placement some more and it’s just not happening with the kw20. Thinking of ordering a kw25 and seeing how that goes. Was also looking at Fuji lc16m. Looks like it would have the perfect height, but of course they don’t have it in the new grey frame lol.

Dennis, which guide are you talking about? I have no problem using different guide frames, but would like to avoid buying a whole new set of guides if possible.

Date: May 19, 2018 04:18PM

Make a tape arbor on the blank and mount your 20 on it till you get the height you need, than measure the arbor thickness. May save a bit of guessing on the next guide to try.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2018 06:58PM

Can you pull the 20 closer to the reel and see if that helps at all?

Date: May 19, 2018 08:20PM

Chris, I'm talking about an older FUJI high framed concept guide that's double footed. They were intentionally used in this manor starting with a #10 and then walking down to micros. Unhide your email and I'll send photos.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 19, 2018 11:38PM

Tom, I have pulled the 20 in as close as possible and still had the same issues. The combination of the blank, reel, and foregrip just doesn’t work with the kw 20. I have placed an order for a kw 25, but I have a feeling I won’t like the look of it. I also ordered a Fuji lc 16m and a set of mn runners. Will report back when they arrive.

Dennis, I’d prefer to keep my email hidden, but is there anyway to send price messages through here?

Date: May 20, 2018 12:13AM

Send Me an email and I'll return pictures. Nevermind, I uploaded 2 photos to Misc. file.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 12:48AM by Dennis Danku.

Date: May 20, 2018 10:15AM

Chris,
Remember, although appearance is nice, the most important thing about a rod is that it does the job that this tool was designed to do.
i.e. catch a lot of great fish in a seamless and invisible fashion.

If you can feel any kickback from the tool that you use to do a job, the tool needs to be modified or changed.

After all, that is what a fishing rod is; A tool to catch fish in the most efficient way possible.

Good luck

Date: May 20, 2018 12:03PM

Chris the reason I suggested the arbor of tape is to measure the height off the blank you need to lear your hand, I don't have a KW25 here, but if I remember right the difference in height isn't much, maybe 1 mm, or less, where the same SV type guide is 6 mm further off the blank, Fuji doesn't list ring height off the blank, but other catalogs do and they're not that much different in basic frame dimensions to worry about. Try the online Pac Bay catalog here to see what I mean.

Date: May 20, 2018 02:07PM

Possibly one of the KWAG guides in the height of your choice?

[www.fujitackle.eu]

Date: May 20, 2018 03:26PM

The Fuji kw 20 is 28.6mm in height and the kw 25 jumps up to 41.2mm. I have a couple spinning rods with the KWs on them, which leads me to think the kw 25 will look odd on this set up. The Fuji mn 20/25 are 30.2 and 39.3mm in height. The Fuji lc16m I ordered has a height of 34.5mm which seems just about right. I also like the idea of the smaller ring size.

This particular style of rod (bottom fishing grouper/snapper/aj) is generally built with the turbo style boat guides, but I am playing around with lighter frames to get an overall lighter rod. I am still very new to this stuff, but it’s fun to tinker and have something different than the factory version of this set up.

Dennis, thanks for the suggestion, a great idea, and wish I did it before ordering abunch of new guides to try lol. All this tinkering is fun, expensive, but fun.

Thanks again for all the help guys, will post back when I get the chance to mess around with the set up some more.

Date: May 20, 2018 08:06PM

Yea it is fun and now you have learned that there are no rules in rodbuilding. You can get as creative as you want or need to be.
Like Roger had said in one of his posts, the rod is a tool and it has to perform without any issues that will prevent it from doing its job.If its not right, do whatever has to be done to make it right.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster