I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Odd...... Maybe?
Posted by: Ken Finch (192.95.12.---)
Date: May 17, 2018 08:49PM

I did a little fishing today and had some luck. But it occurred to me that unlike most fishermen that concentrate on the hooked fish and getting it in and landed, I seem to concentrate on my rod when I have a fish on. I watch the way it bends and how the line flows through the guides, making sure the stress distribution is right. I notice the sound of the line when it goes through the guides on a cast. I feel the rod as I use it and how fits me and what I do. It seems that as a custom rod builder my main thing when fishing is no longer catching the fish but instead enjoying how well a rod I designed and built works. Is it just me???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd...... Maybe?
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.90.---)
Date: May 17, 2018 08:59PM

Perfectly normal behavior.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 08:59PM

I seem to "observe" all of the rods that I have built for friends while they are fighting and landing fish. Not so much when I have a fish on. It's not just you!
Rog

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 18, 2018 06:45AM

You mean every rod builder doesn't do this? I think it'd be odd not to do this.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2018 09:00AM

Worried about it on my first few rods and mostly about one I took on an Alaska trip for kings. But it held up fine and after that I had enough confidence not to question if you can actually build as good or better a rod than you can buy. You can.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 18, 2018 09:15AM

Ken

Quite normal, be careful it does not become an obsession.

To modify a quote I heard "There are two things worth living for, one is a good fishing rod, and the other is a better one".

ENJOY

John

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-137.myvzw.com)
Date: May 18, 2018 10:31AM

Being a new rod builder for myself i know i tend to watch what the rod is doing more than the fish i have on, even when i cast or using a lure i watch my rod...lol

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2018 01:04PM

When I started building I had those feelings and observations then it kind of wore off when every rod seemed to work the same. I kind of got disenchanted, rod technology; blanks, materials, guides and grips, just seemed to stagnate. The high modules blanks that soon came out seemed too fragile to build on. I quit, I had a quiver of rods that worked good enough and they still do. So after a lull of about 10 years I started seeing smaller guides, better HM blanks, the internet and Youtube! I began building again, the blanks had changed especially the actions or at least the variety that was offered. I knew that on my casting rods back when I started the guides needed to be higher near the reel so I used single foot spinning guides to get the line as straight as possible from the reel. The concept system came out (I would say the company but Jim will probably take care of that) and put all the pieces together for me. I embraced the new technology and try to bring it all in. I did however hold on to two things from the past that to me are superior materials: natural cork and titanium guide frames. One day I was building a rod for a friend using micro guides, new generation blank, etc., and after I set the guides and the epoxy had hardened, the stripper guide had somehow gotten bumped during the setting time on my dryer so I started cutting the stripper guide off and made a little cut too deep. Oh well start over with a new blank. I cut the remaining guides off and looking at the rod with a nice new split grip and no guides, I decided to do a spiral wrap. The first time I fished it gave that feeling that you Ken describe so eloquently. The fun was back and so was that feeling of everything working in harmony. When the feeling goes away push on your boundaries and try to find it again.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-128.myvzw.com)
Date: May 18, 2018 06:41PM

I built a spiral wrap and after using i have decided all my casting rod's will be spiral wrapped.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 18, 2018 06:45PM

I occasionally do the same thing. Then I remind myself the rod does not "know" what is deflecting it, only that it is being deflected. So I tie my line to a brick, pull and jerk on the line, and watch how the rod responds. That satisfies my curiosity for several fishing sessions and several hook-ups.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2018 07:29AM

Yes that is very odd behavior.. but quite normal for us.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 08:03AM

Bruce,
Don't jump to conclusions on an all or nothing type situation.

Yes, spiral wrapped casting rods do have their place, but, as with anything, you will find, that there are some applications by some folks which - for those folks - simply work better as a conventional casting rod as opposed to a spiral wrapped rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 03:52PM

Sounds normal to me.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2018 05:15PM

So happy to hear others confess this obsession, thought I might have to go to Rod Builders Anonymous!!

Posted by: Tony Tomanek (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:55AM

A different view. I am a fisherman first. I enjoy the sport and have fished my entire life. I became a rod builder when a friend introduced me to it. I build rods that are functional, sensitive, light, powerful and catch fish. I am also an art major and enjoy the aesthetics of a beautiful tool like a hand built rod with a simple, but well-done butt wrap. I rarely, if ever notice the "bend" or the line when I'm reeling in a fish. My smile gets in the way. After reading the above I know what will happen next, Drat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster