I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Glue for Cork Rings
Posted by: Eugene Crist (184.103.225.---)
Date: May 17, 2018 12:35AM

I'm preparing to build and turn my first cork ring grip on my mini lathe. I've read on here and elsewhere about building grips and it seems like most builders favor various epoxies and Titebond. Is there any harm in using regular Elmer's Carpenter Wood Glue? I used to use it a lot for furniture making and it works extremely well in that capacity but I'm curious why I don't read more about it being used for gluing up cork rings. If anyone could let me know if there's a reason why I shouldn't use it I'm all ears.

Thanks, Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Glue for Cork Rings
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 01:03AM

Titebond is a carpenters glue Titebond 11 is good but it is water resistant , where Titebond 111 is better & "" waterproof "" I think , an yes Elmer's will work , if I get cork
rings an glue them up I want the best glue & ""water proof ""

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 01:03AM

(((

William Sidney
AK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 01:04AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2018 07:02AM

It will work. I would opt for a waterproof carpenter's glue, however. Elmer's may or may not be waterproof. Consult the label.

Most cork grips don't live underwater so it is possible to get by with a glue that is only water resistant, but my mind rests easier if I have something from the outset that I know isn't going to let go down the road.

Posted by: Eugene Crist (184.103.225.---)
Date: May 17, 2018 08:59AM

Ok gotcha. I figured it was something along those lines. Thanks for the replies Gents - much appreciated.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 10:33AM

If you ever lose a rod overboard and cannot retrieve it for a day or two, you'll probably be happy if you used waterproof glue. Don't ask how I know this. Also, I've had rods I've used in Canada that didn't leave the boat for a rainy week. I think waterPROOF is the wise choice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 12:17PM

Not much price difference between Elmers white glue not water proof : and Titebond III - which is waterproof.

A fishing rod normally lasts for a very long time. No real reason not to use Titebond III which is water proof.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 12:28PM

Eugene,
By the way, when I use cork for a grip and when I use titebond III for glue, I do the following:

I use threaded rod to hold the rings together with a body washer on each and a nut on each end to clamp the rings together.

But, it is much easier to ream one cork ring at a time than an entire grip.

So, I take the blank, and ream out each cork ring to be sized to fit on the particular spot on the blank - where it will eventually be located.

Then, after reaming the grip, I will take a threaded rod, that is of the largest size that will still fit into the smallest hole in the reamed out cork ring.

With this setup - I will then, glue up the rings with a nice even coating of glue on each ring. Then, I put on the body washers and nuts on each end of the threaded rod and tighten the nuts to be snug enough to insure a tight fit between each of the cork rings.

Then, since titebond III is water clean up, I will use a wet cloth to completely wipe off any squeezed out or glue drops from the glued up cork grip.

I will then, let the grip dry for 24 hours and then remove the threaded rod from the inside of the cork ring. There will still be some wet glue on the inside of the grip, so I will use the same threaded rod and use it to scrape the inside sides of the grip to remove any wet glue from the inside of the grip. Then, I will let the grip dry for another 24 hours to insure that the grip is completely dry, with no threaded rod on the inside of the grip.

After the glue has dried, I will do one more pass through the grip with the threaded rod to insure that there is no projecting glue that might scratch the blank when slipping onto the blank for final glue up.

I then take the threaded rod, and use masking tape to build up the size of the threaded rod, so that the threaded rod outside diameter matches the inner diameter of the grip. Remember, the butt end of the grip will be larger than the tip of the grip.

With the threaded rod fitting perfectly on the inside of the reamed out grip, I will then tighten the nuts on each end, slip the mandrel into position on my lathe and shape it to its desired shape.

Remove the shaped up grip and use epoxy glue to glue the finished grip to the rod blank at the correct location.

Good luck

Posted by: Ricky Vaccarello (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2018 01:09PM

I use TightBond II and usually seal my spey rod (DH rod) grips with a clear coat. But I usually use Burl cork rings and exotic wood end caps for my builds. It seems to still give a good grip and helps when using them in Saltwater. I use cork sealer on standard cork rings. Hope this helps you out..

Posted by: Eugene Crist (184.103.143.---)
Date: May 27, 2018 01:17PM

Thanks for all the info. One last question, for those who use exotic wood in their grips with the cork. Since any hardwood pieces would be much harder than the cork, how do you keep from over-sanding the cork part? I'm guessing you just have to pay extra-close attention to the sections with the hardwood rings.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2018 05:37PM

Sand with a flat surface hard backing for the sandpaper, if not careful the cork will sand deeper quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster