I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Seriously, how light is a POINT Blank??
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 03:27PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seriously, how light is a POINT Blank??
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.90.---)
Date: May 10, 2018 05:52PM

I hope thats fresh water or that reels in trouble.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 10, 2018 06:02PM

It's a super-light reel filled with helium. What's the sense of saving one 89th of an ounce in your guide train if the reel weights the rod down?

Date: May 10, 2018 08:12PM

I never purchase reels that the manufacturer praises are the lightest available , i like a certain heft to my reels and the rod i tend to use it with is a determining factor in my choice after it's design intentions and purposes of course. On my 10 foot to 12 foot surf rods i always opt for reels that weigh in the range of 18.5 - 23 ounces.

On my 8 foot and 9 foot inshore rods that i built using the KR concept i matched those up with a Stradic 5000 and a 4000 and they handle and cast beautifully . Couldn't afford the helium infused models but thats OK . Everything i hear about the Point blank model blanks has been exceptionally positive , even the legendary and world renowned Norm has praised the rods that he built using Point Blank model blanks .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 08:49PM

How deep is the water that the rod is in?

Is it more than 2 inches deep?

Date: May 10, 2018 09:40PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How deep is the water that the rod is in?
>
> Is it more than 2 inches deep?

I was thinking about 5 inches deep with the reel resting on an underwater rock.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: May 10, 2018 09:41PM

They ain’t that light! I sold the second supposed 731 mhmf you sent me to a fellow who put a core on it. He bounced it off his deck prior to its first cast. I rests peacefully at the bottom of Pomme De Terre in Missouri.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 09:58PM

I just love all my KR concept Point Blank and Stradic Ci4 spinning rod combos. Very light and a joy to fish. Same with my KR Point Blank casting combos. In my opinion the Point blanks make exceptional spinning and casting rods.
Norm

Date: May 10, 2018 10:43PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

" It rests peacefully at the bottom of Pomme De Terre in Missouri"

LOL , i'm sure it was a blast before it plunged to it's death at the bottom though , fond memories but an important aspect was learned in the process , we now can add " Tremendous bouncing ability" to the already impressive attributes of Point Blank rod blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 11:10PM

I’m pretty sure my rods won’t float, but they feel like they should.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: May 11, 2018 08:04AM

Herb, unfortunately he never made a fast with it. Was a very light and well balanced combo before it went swimming

Date: May 11, 2018 10:23AM

Figured I'd get some great comments on this post. ;) No, not all PB's rods will float, Ernie Horvath really works to make his builds as light as possible but this accidental test was a good testimonial. Water was 9 feet deep - no rocks ;)

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2018 11:41AM

Jim received quite a few humorous comments on this post; but I would like to share my experience as a builder with Point Blank rods. I have built many rods for a semi-pro angler using Phenix K2, NFC & MH High Mod blanks. In June of last year I built him a Point Blank - PB701MHF. He came back this spring and ordered a Point Blank 691 MLXF. At that time, he told me his "go to blank" is going to be a Point Blank. He said they have a very sensitive tip with a great back bone and loves they way they load. I respect his opinion and I was very impressed with the quality and straightness of the blanks, not to mention how light they are. Not that I need another rod; but I think it's time to add a Point Blank rod to my rack.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 11, 2018 12:17PM

the main reason they load so well is because of the way you built the rod..there is a difference..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 11, 2018 12:33PM

I love Point Blanks, but I have to admit my @#$%& detector went off big time.

Date: May 11, 2018 03:49PM

Michael...I guess I need to find Ernie! He actually caught the tip of this rod on the deck while fighting a fish and "flipped" it off the deck into the water. In that split second while deciding to go for the rod or hang with the fish he noticed it floated. He said he kept an eye on the rod but stayed with the fish. After he landed the fish he scooted back to the rod with the trolling motor and picked it up. You can't make this s%#& up.

Don...you've waited WAY too long. And thanks for the comments. We hear it all the time but I don't mention it because it sets off Michael's %#@& detector - which needs to be recalibrated LOL.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 11, 2018 04:53PM

I'll get right at that recalibration. Has to be salt water, and a plastic reel.

Lot more cork on that rod than I use, also. The real secret is a really big surface lure in the keeper. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 04:56PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2018 06:46PM

Give up Michael your losing!

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2018 12:21PM

O.K folks, I will add my two cents. When the rod first went over board I told Andy grab the rod, the spinner bait was hooked on the line of the rod with the fish on it. When the fish jumped the spinner bait came off the line and I got very excited to get the rod back. I thought it was gone. I hollered, Andy get the rod, he said I don't see it, I looked to the front of the boat frantically looking for the rod. Then I noticed it was floating past the trolling motor. I said grab the fish, which Andy did, and then I trolled back to the rod and picked it up. We were both shocked. If there are still doubters I welcome anyone to come to my shop and I will take that rod and reel to the river, about two miles from my shop and throw it in. The rod is a PB701LXF, NOT FILLED with HELIUM, and a Stradic Ci4 plus 2500, with 10lb. braid and a i/2oz, H+H spinner bait. And no the reel is not filled with Helium either.
About two years ago I dropped basically the same rod outside Oriental N.C. near the sea wall, and when I reached for my phone and wallet to jump in and get it, my partner, Ron said look it is suspended about 4 inches below the surface. I just reached down and picked it up, and went back to fishing.
Footnote: I own a reel service and repair shop, so both reels were cleaned upon my return to the shop.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2018 12:26PM

Mike, I remember meeting you at the IRCBE a few months ago. I was as shocked as anyone would be.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster