I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Nice Straight Epoxy Line
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (---.cnrocmta03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 03:01PM

Gents, I’m looking for some advice….what is the best way to get a nice straight epoxy line on the blank below the guide ring, when coating the wrap on the ring-side of a single foot guide. I’ve tried to do it by hand and when the blank is rotating and have not quite been successful on either. Obviously its less challenging to get a straight line of epoxy on the butt side of the wrap with the blank rotating, but even with my hand on a rest, I just can’t master that nice straight epoxy line below the ring. As usual, many thanks for the feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Nice Straight Epoxy Line
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 04:31PM

If you think single foot guides are a challenge, wait until you finish snake guides - two heels per guide!

Seriously, it is one of those things for which you must learn the "feel" that works for you, your thread, and your finish.

Some advocate for a rapidly rotating rod, and that works. However, nothing works with a dry brush. You need to be pushing (not painting) a bead, or a bow wave, of finish while the rod rotates. If you apply too much finish, or the finish extends too far onto the blank, a piece of coffee filter or fly line backing will clean things up.

Take a look at the video in the Library for perfect finish. Flex Coat also has a great video on this point at its site.

If you are using magnification when applying finish know what looks horrible is sometimes next to nothing.

If you are using the nylon disposable brushes, try trimming off about a 3rd of the bristle length to made the brush a little stiffer. Or try a different type of brush.

There is a brush, finish, rod rotating speed that will work for you. And you can find it.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 07, 2018 03:51AM

Larry, I find a Steady Rest to be helpful, It can be anything, Block of wood or upside down coffee cup, anything you can nest you hand on, Just find the right height your comfortable with. Just make sure it's clean and blow or wipe off any dust before you use it.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 02:24PM

Hello Larry.

You can always tape it off, epoxy it then pull off the tape.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 08:46AM

Do you use a power wrapper of some kind that you can adjust the speed?
I tend to get the best straight edge by letting the the wrapper do the work at a higher speed. Just leaving the brush tip on the bottom edge of the wrap and slowly walking it onto the blank as the rod speeds at a higher speed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2018 12:50PM

I apply finish using my power wrapper at speed up to about 200 rpm.

I adjust the speed as necessary with my foot and for the edges, I let the rod spin at a pretty good rate for nice straight edges.

By the way, I have a reversing switch on my wrapper. When I wrap, I have the top of the rod coming toward me since I have the thread supply behind the rod. But, when applying finish, I reverse the direction and have the top of the rod rotating away from me. I just find that using the rods rotating in these directions for wrapping and coating - is the best setup for myself.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2018 08:54AM

As stated in a post above...pushing a bead of epoxy ahead of the actual brush (or whatever you use) will result in a straighter line than trying to "draw" or "paint" that line with said brush bristles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster