I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Silicone winging checks ,
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 03, 2018 12:39AM

one of our sponsers is selling silicone winding checks I would like to know what type of glue would hold the winding check in place ?? As I don't know of any glue that stick s to silicone '
any help as I want to try them out but I need to know how to hold them i place before I order

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silicone winging checks ,
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: May 03, 2018 01:30AM

I think you don.t need to glue them .
They should be elastic so just put them, a wrap in front and you should be ok.

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: May 03, 2018 01:37AM

Good question which i don't know the answer to but what i do is just buy winding checks with a smaller diameter than where i know i'm going to position it , always turns out to be a very snug fit . Kind of like i do a butt cap , i never glue them on , i push them into position and thats it , when i have tried to remove it you would think it's epoxied on there , a total nightmare to get it off lol.

I know , not the info you were looking for , just food for thought.

Date: May 03, 2018 02:03AM

so what you are saying is get it a little small an don't worry , not a little big an let it go , I will have to try that thanks for the tip , Bill

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2018 08:29AM

Ask the sponsor.

Date: May 03, 2018 11:38AM

I have "" BUT " I was wondering if any one has tried them, what was the results of there doing it , did it work as stated ???

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2018 01:49PM

Hello All -- I assume we, Mud Hole Custom Tackle are the sponsor/supplier you are mentioning for the CRB Colored Silicone Winding Checks. We have used both Pro Paste and Pro Glue for epoxing and installing the silicon checks to the rod blank, with good results. Also, as a addition for securing them, it would never hurt to wrap thread just in front of the check. I would not suggest trying to coat the exterior with thread epoxy/finish. Here is a link to the regular CRB Colored Silicon Winding Checks - [www.mudhole.com] and the snap-in type - [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: May 03, 2018 03:46PM

Well on my next order to Mud hole I will order some up an try them , I think it will be this weekend , as of now , Thank for all the help , Bill

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 13, 2018 11:29PM

got my order in the color is a little washed out, but looks good, the problem I see is there is a very limited size selection for just the check, the sizes for the reel seats has a lot more to select from , but as I do mostly fly rods , the size I need is no where to be found , they can be stretch a lot, but don't know how long it would last if it was to stay stretched out, have not tried to glue to them yet , will look at that tomorrow ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster