I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Winn Grips ll
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2018 12:52AM

I am disappointedly surprised and would have expected Winn grips to be more durable and suitable to saltwater applications than the response to my first related post indicates. Thank you for the replies and saving me the agony of replacing an ocean rod grip (or 2 or 3)!!! It is truly unfortunate with all the attributes of the Winn grips they cannot withstand the forces applied in saltwater applications.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Winn Grips ll
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.94.---)
Date: April 29, 2018 03:35AM

Your initial thread asked people what their opinions were on how they held up for the people who have had personal experience with Winn Grips and as expected you got a bunch of varied responses . Sounds like the experiences given were not what you wanted to hear , i don't recall anybody saying they're not capable of being used on rods purposely fished in saltwater .

Of course when anybody asks for an opinion on a product that they have a lot of interest in but as of yet do not have personal experience with you're hoping for very positive comments from the people that do have personal experience with the product but thats not how it always turns out. At least you got good feedback and saved yourself quite a bit of $$ .

You can always purchase enough for the one rod and see how that holds up before converting all three . If i took the advice of others on certain products i would of never bought them in the first place , some have become my personal favorites.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2018 06:44AM

I won't use them, And I won't use EVA ether! Even for freshwater, If that's what a customer want's I send them down the Road. I build my rods to Last. So It's cork or carbon fiber. I built my first rod Well over 20 years ago, And yep the guide wrap epoxy has cracks in it, The cork handle is very dirty, But it is 100% intact and that rod was fished Hard trolling for eye's in rod holders for hours and casted for hours after hours, And was packed away wet lots of times. And I fished that rod last year, And it still Fished perfect Just like I Remembered. I wanted to refresh it with lighter guides and fresh epoxy, But my son asked me to just leave it be, So that's the way it will stay upon his request. Cheers Jaa

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 29, 2018 06:44AM

Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2018 06:45AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 29, 2018 09:20AM

Winn came to our rodbuilders gathering and showed a number of salt water rods claiming that they worked fine. I think they were surf rods , if I remember correctly. i suggest you contact Winn and ask what the limitations of their grips are for saltwater rods of the type you are interested in. It could be that you and the responders are talking apples and oranges.

Date: April 29, 2018 09:21PM

Herb, I have a very good method for producing durable and comfortable saltwater grips but am interested in using the Winn Grips if they are up-to-the-task. My initial, four associated questions were stated very concisely; durability in and out of rod holders and resisting twisting forces applied from conventional, non-spiral wrapped rods along with available lengths and diameters. Your reply avoided all four questions and went off on a tangent, so in that case you are correct in that, as you stated, “The experiences given were not what you wanted to hear”. Additionally, I did not receive, as you stated, “As expected you got a bunch of varied responses”. Spencer was the only one to address my questions directly and both of the “Experiences” given were certainly negative, so yet again your statement “I don’t recall anybody saying they are not capable of being used on rods purposely fished in saltwater” baffles me. I don’t know your definition of durable is but mine is well over two years, certainly not only two weeks! By the way, thank you Spencer. Near the end of your reply, you stated, “Of course when anyone asks for an opinion on a product they have a lot of interest in but as of yet do not have personal experience with you’re hoping for very positive comments from the people who do have personal experience with the product but that’s not always the way it turns out”. That statement is total nonsense and counter-productive for anyone with half a functioning brain seeking unbiased, informational opinions. Don’t assume others share your own thinking processes.
Jay, Aha, comforting to know there is still another cork lover remaining!!!
Michael, while you might be correct, I was seeking, if not trusting, opinions from qualified rod builders and anglers such as found on this site over those directly associated with the product itself. But with the (surprisingly, if not disappointingly) limited replies, I will probably have to do so.
I have to say I am bewildered NO ONE offered positive feedback concerning Winn Grips application to saltwater fishing grips. They can’t be THAT bad!!??!!??

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2018 10:40PM

Mark, I have not used the Winn Grips for heavy duty saltwater rods because I make very few of these rods. I mostly make freshwater and light inshore rods, and I have made many of these using Winn grips, People who use them love them, and so far there have been no issues with durability, However, they have not been around all that long, so only time will tell. If you want to try the saltwater Winn grips then buy one and try it yourself; what do you have to lose except for a few bucks. If it wears out then cut it off and retrofit with the handle of your choice. There is nothing wrong with a little experimentation to unambiguously find outwhat works for you.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2018 12:01PM

Cork oak trees require 200 or so years of growth before high-grade cork bark can be harvested. Housing developments, roads, golf courses, shopping malls and the like require months, not centuries, to become useful. You can see where we are headed with cork, no matter how much you like it for fish pole grips.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.94.---)
Date: April 30, 2018 01:50PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, I have a very good method for producing
> durable and comfortable saltwater grips but am
> interested in using the Winn Grips if they are
> up-to-the-task. My initial, four associated
> questions were stated very concisely; durability
> in and out of rod holders and resisting twisting
> forces applied from conventional, non-spiral
> wrapped rods along with available lengths and
> diameters. Your reply avoided all four questions
> and went off on a tangent, so in that case you are
> correct in that, as you stated, “The experiences
> given were not what you wanted to hear”.
> Additionally, I did not receive, as you stated,
> “As expected you got a bunch of varied
> responses”. Spencer was the only one to address
> my questions directly and both of the
> “Experiences” given were certainly negative,
> so yet again your statement “I don’t recall
> anybody saying they are not capable of being used
> on rods purposely fished in saltwater” baffles
> me. I don’t know your definition of durable is
> but mine is well over two years, certainly not
> only two weeks! By the way, thank you Spencer.
> Near the end of your reply, you stated, “Of
> course when anyone asks for an opinion on a
> product they have a lot of interest in but as of
> yet do not have personal experience with you’re
> hoping for very positive comments from the people
> who do have personal experience with the product
> but that’s not always the way it turns out”.
> That statement is total nonsense and
> counter-productive for anyone with half a
> functioning brain seeking unbiased, informational
> opinions. Don’t assume others share your own
> thinking processes.
> Jay, Aha, comforting to know there is still
> another cork lover remaining!!!
> Michael, while you might be correct, I was
> seeking, if not trusting, opinions from qualified
> rod builders and anglers such as found on this
> site over those directly associated with the
> product itself. But with the (surprisingly, if not
> disappointingly) limited replies, I will probably
> have to do so.
> I have to say I am bewildered NO ONE offered
> positive feedback concerning Winn Grips
> application to saltwater fishing grips. They
> can’t be THAT bad!!??!!??

Mark: Your reply avoided all four questions and went off on a tangent.

What an exceptionally ungrateful human being you are, the responses by myself and the people who tried to assist you in your first thread made it very clear that nobody could answer your specific questions but offered other suggestions hoping to help , i personally took the time to try and give you different ideas that i happen to know work very well because i have personal experience with them just like Roger did mentioning the irrigation pipe and slick butt idea.

I'm old enough to know there are people in the world that tend to talk down to and criticize other peoples intelligence for a variety of reasons and you just happen to be one of those people Mark , the people that replied to your question were trying to help you even if you don't see it that way , in the vast majority of threads the OP does not get the exact info they request because it's not available , did you really think somebody would have (As you requested) the answer to " Durability in and out of rod holders and resisting twisting forces applied from conventional, non-spiral wrapped rods" lol i mean c'mon of course not .

People try to help by offering other possible solutions but thats unacceptable to you , if you don't have anything nice to say don't comment at all .

Mark: "I have to say I am bewildered NO ONE offered positive feedback concerning Winn Grips application to saltwater fishing grips. They can’t be THAT bad!!??!!??"

I have to say i'm bewildered by you starting an entirely new thread about your bewilderment .

Mark: Near the end of your reply, you stated, “Of course when anyone asks for an opinion on a product they have a lot of interest in but as of yet do not have personal experience with you’re hoping for very positive comments from the people who do have personal experience with the product but that’s not always the way it turns out”.
Mark: That statement is total nonsense and counter-productive for anyone with half a functioning brain seeking unbiased, informational opinions. Don’t assume others share your own thinking processes.

Mark, do you realize that you yourself just proved what i said is exactly right , by you feeling the need to post a second thread about the exact same thing says it all , you were looking for positive responses ( Exactly what i said people do when interested in a product they don't own yet )and were disappointed and upset that there wasn't much of a positive response. When people respond to a question i have when i start a thread i thank ALL of them even the ones that have nothing to do with the question i asked , they took the time attempting to help and i appreciate it .

I think it's safe to say that most folks would of bought one to try out by now and find out for themselves instead of contemplating Winn Grips part III.

Lastly about people not thinking like i do , indeed you're correct , diagnosed at a relatively early age of being considerably more intelligent than peers in my own age group , thanks for noticing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2018 11:03PM

I quite a bit of experience with Winn grips on both Fly rods and golf clubs. The golf clubs for many years! The grips are softly complaint which is what has made them so successful for golf clubs, and gaining popularity for fishing rods. Due to it's soft compliant surface, it is NOT very scuff resistant, as evidenced by having to replace frequently used club grips, due to the scuffing in and out of a golf bag.

My suspicion is that, making the surface more scuff resistant will also change the feel that we like.

If there was a data base of experience, you would have gotten more sufficient replies.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2018 09:54PM

Okay guys, let's not go down this road. Everybody take a breath and remember we're here to enjoy rod building.

Date: May 03, 2018 01:32AM

You are correct, Tom, sorry. But @%$*(^$&!)# on rare occasions.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster