I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon Backbouncing/Swimbait Casting Rod
Posted by: Sean Mitchell (---.static.ctl.one)
Date: April 26, 2018 06:57PM

Ok. With all your help I think I have the KR Concept for spinning rods figured out pretty well. Now I've got a pair of NFC BB805-1 casting rods I need to build. These are going to be used 75% for salmon backbouncing and will also be used to throw 2oz swimbaits for a month or two a year. Reel will be a 300 sized Curado, Lexa or Revo loaded with 50lb Braid. For throwing swimbaits, I'll also be using a short section of 50lb flouro FG knotted onto the braid.

Would like to make this rod pretty light in hand as I am a die hard backbouncer so bouncing 12 hours in a day happens pretty often. I started researching here, and other websites and it seems like the static load test is by far the most important with a casting rod.

Given that I want it light, I'm already wondering how small of a guide I can go with. I'll be running mainly, if not all, double foot guides. I just haven't found any single foots that hold up to fighting oversize lingcod or big chinook.

Any recommendations or reduction train and running guide sizes? Although I think I have the reduction guide spacing and sizing figured out, would also like to hear what people recommend.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon Backbouncing/Swimbait Casting Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 10:28PM

I too love back bouncing rods, my first was a G Loomis BBR 904, a 7 1/2 ft. MH rod. Fished it all over, including Florida and the Caribbean while stationed in the Coast Guard. Went there knowing nothing about the gear used and was soon catching saltwater fish of many species on salmon jigging spoons and other gear. I was always amazed by how versatile it and my heavy hot shot rods were there.
Always ran into something big around the Cat Cay area of the Bahamas that I couldn't stop no matter what gear I brought. I now own a pair each of the heavy and med heavy Lamiglas 8 ft. Centified Pro rods also, and a NFC SSB 806-2 (IM). Love them all, the NFC 2 piece loves going on trips with me. Got a blank still in the sack to build when I find time.
How long is your fluoro leaders? Might be good to take some advise from like lined surf anglers when it comes to your guide needs.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 27, 2018 12:25PM

The EPA just announced it will decrease outflows from western dams. You should consider a lighter blank for back bouncing and swim baits.

Date: April 27, 2018 03:38PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The EPA just announced it will decrease outflows
> from western dams. You should consider a lighter
> blank for back bouncing and swim baits.

Although that's a MAJOR bummer and is going to drastically impact the Columbia river salmon, I rarely make it to the Columbia. Still plenty of water of backbounce the streams I fish.

Date: May 01, 2018 10:45AM

Anyone just have general guide sizing recommendation for 50 braid with potential for a 50# flouro leader? FG knot, leader no longer than 4'.

I was thinking of #10 running guides, wasn't sure if I could go smaller.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2018 12:04PM

Using an FG knot you can certainly go with smaller runners. To me size 10 runners are huge, size 6 or 5.5 runners would be fine. You are using a low profile reel with a small line guide ring that is a size 6 or smaller, so you do not need a large stripper and could use a size 12 or 10, followed by size 8 or 6 then your runners. This should lighten the tip and make the rod more enjoyable to fish. 50lb braid might be a little bit of an over kill, since your maximum drag setting is no where close to the strength of this line. Most braids have an absolute breaking strength that exceed their listed ratings. in addition, FG knots lose some knot strength when tied using braid of 50lbs or greater. So you may do just as well using 30 lb braid, unless abrasion is a major issue.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2018 01:02PM

Sean,
For ice fishing in the out of doors, when the temperature is -30F and not using a shanty or heated shelter, then the use of larger guides is a really good idea.
I typically use #10 guides for runners and tip top for this reason.

Good luck

Date: May 01, 2018 01:57PM

Thanks. Yes the 50lb braid is for abrasion, sensitivity and line digging on the spool. Under the strain some of these fish put on gear, much less than 50 will start digging into the spool.

Spiral wrap also caught my eye for this rod. Right now I'm running 50lb braid with size 7 runner on a spinning rod so I know that works for me. Something like a 12 stripper, 8 then 7's to the tip would be in the ballpark?

For some reason, the thought of 50lb flouro knotted to 50lb powerpro passing through a size 6 KW guide kind of scares me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 02:42PM by Sean Mitchell.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2018 07:25PM

I have no problems passing an FG knot joining 30 lb braid with 40lb floro through size 4.5 KB/KT guides. I am sure that size 6 runners will work just fine, unless you are concerned about icing. However, it is your call. If you really want to know for sure how smaller runners will work experiment and try your reel with a rod that has size 6 or smaller runners, either a friend’s or one from a sporting goods store. This should give you an unambiguous answer, one way or the other.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2018 06:10AM

If you even have to ask the question about the size of a guide or tip top with respect to a specific line or knot - just go with a larger guide with which you are comfortable.

You ask the question, because you feel uncomfortable wrapping that size guide or putting that tip top on the rod. Simply put - then don't do it.

Move on.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster