I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alabama rig blank
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.164.---)
Date: April 26, 2018 12:22PM

I've run several searches, and can't seem to find any results. Have a request for quote for a rod suitable for the A-Rig. Casting rod, 7'6", heavy or extra-heavy power, fast action, spiral wrapped, split grip are the customer's ideas. Will be saddled with a Shimano Conquest, spooled with 65lb braid. The rigs he uses in in the 2 to 2.5oz range.

My owns thoughts are a mod-fast action blank would be a better choice.

I don't use an A-rig. Not legal in Illinois. So, I have no experience fishing a chandelier.

Appreciate any comments from folks who do fish these things, and build rods for them.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alabama rig blank
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 12:48PM

next thing you know they wiil be fishing cherry bombs tied to the hook.lol.. the fish comes in already gutted and scaled..lol.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 01:23PM

you could use a muskie blank this is from rod geeks fits you customers spec Musky Rod Series - MKY76HF

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2018 03:07PM

The SWB956-Blend-MHX blank is longer than your request, but can be cut down from the butt end by 3 to 4 inches. Even though it was designed for swim baits, it is perfect for A-Rigs. I will assure you that a mod-fast rod is way better for casting and retrieving the A-Rig, than a fast tip rod. To cast a A-Rig, it needs to be more of a lob type cast. Here is a link to the rod blank - [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 03:08PM

Gary,
You need a really stiff rod blank to fish an alabama rig. The empty - non fish on the hook - rig pulls with a force of what seems to be 50 lbs. So, you do need a hefty rod with a pretty stiff tip to handle the total lure and weight - especially if you happen to hook up to 6 - 10 lb bass all at the same time - which could happen.

Good luck

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2018 06:36PM

Gary
Here is a thread from 2011 which has a lot of info that may help

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 07:00PM

Hello Steve.

Loose your thread again?
Keep doing that and your pants will fall down.

Gary go to search type in Alabama Rig Rod and change dates to ALL and you can find a few threads.

Stay Out of Trouble Steve & good Luck Gary.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2018 07:14PM

here is thread sorry forgot to paste it to post
[rodbuilding.org]

Thank you Robert

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2018 09:32PM

Gary,

Think swimbait of similar weight and you'll get good results

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 27, 2018 09:54AM

POINT Blank PB761XXHMF was designed as an A-rig blank

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 27, 2018 10:42AM

From our RainShadow lineup the Immortal IMMC76XH would be the one: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 27, 2018 12:07PM

Hello Steve.

No problem!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 28, 2018 07:38AM

i guess it,s ok to snag fish as long as there is one hook in his mouth..it,s like fishing with a rapala , the belly hook has the mouth and the tail hook has the eyeball..tough luck for the fish i guess..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster