I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil guides for ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.sub-174-234-138.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2018 01:43PM

Hey all,

It has been ages since I have been on here. I doubt any of you will remember me.

I am building a couple Ultralight spinning rods on bamboo blanks I have made. These are for 2-4lb test line intended for trout and panfish. I want an ultralight guide option for this. I have considered the Pacbay minima series but I am afraid of the singing issue with those. Can any of you reliably tell me "from expereince" if the Recoil spinning guides sing out like the PB minimas do? If so, what would be another good option for these rods?

Thanks, Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil guides for ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 02:57PM

I would recommend the Fuji KL-H or KL guides with Alconite rings. They are a good looking guide that would complement the blank. The micro sized KT with ceramic rings are lighter than the comparable Minima guide. I have not weighed the larger guides compared to each other. The stainless insert they use on the Minima guide is actually heavier than a ceramic insert. I know the ceramic guides will have a satisfactory sound with braid. If you are using mono line the guide type shouldn't make a difference and the Recoils would also give that "old school" classic look.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.94.---)
Date: April 24, 2018 03:47PM

The overwhelming majority of builders these days choose either the Microwave guide system by American tackle or Fuji's KR concept for all types of rod builds and for very good reason , i had to be convinced myself by members here but when guys who have decades more experience building rods than you do say that they were blown away by the way their rods performed with these two choices i listened .

I'm very very glad i did listen because i have never experienced rods that perform on such a high level and i'm LOVING it .

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (162.249.97.---)
Date: April 24, 2018 04:17PM

Ray

I build ultra-light spinning rods almost exclusively. I use minnima M series for the first two guides, usually a 16 and a 12, then recoil 6s in the spinning series for the running guides. For the tip top either a conventional ceramic tip top or tie on a minnima 4L as a tip top. I have tried tying on a recoil 6 for a tip top, but the noise drives me nuts.

Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 07:05PM

Curious to hear about the singing issues with Minimas. Last build on a 6'6 we used all Minimas including tip top. My hearing is not great but I have not detected anything unusual.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 08:21PM

I have never heard the Minima guides singing but have heard the recoils do so, and I am hard of hearing. For an ultralight rod I normally use either the Minima M guides for the reduction train (16M, 8M, and 5M) coupled with Minima 4F guides as runners, or the Fuji KR guides (KL16H, KL8H, KL5.5M as reduction guides, and 4.5 or 4 KB/KT as runners). The Minima guides are lighter and this weight savings is due mostly to the lightness of the Minima M reduction guides. For an even lighter setup you could the recoil RSPG or RSPGB guides as runners with the Minima M guides for the reduction train. [www.mudhole.com] For all of these guide trains, use the Fuji KR GPS located at Anglers Resource, for guide placement. [anglersresource.net]
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 08:23PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 08:30PM

Same here, my Minimas, with stainless, or ceramic rings, don't sing. My Recoil guides on my travel rod that go down to a size 4 spinning guide don't sing much, far less than my fly rod with Recoils. Sometimes I've wondered if the guide lay out makes these guides sing more, or less and if they pick up some resonance from the blank? Never took the time to mess with it though.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 25, 2018 03:55AM

Minimas all the way, I use the match guides to keep, Wet 4lb line from clinging to the rod, As they sit a bit higher.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2018 05:56PM

Thank you for the info folks. I have ordered the minima M and F guides for these.

Again thanks for the advise.

Ray

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.sub-174-234-129.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2018 05:56PM

Thank you for the info folks. I have ordered the minima M and F guides for these.

Again thanks for the advise.

Ray

Posted by: Kevin Althoff (45.52.59.---)
Date: April 27, 2018 09:59PM

My experience with the recoil guides is on a MH spinning rod with 15lb braid. It was a noisier rod than most but it wasn't unbearable. I also used to have a St. Croix Panfish series rod that had a minima lookiing guide (maybe somebody can verify if those rods used pac bay minimas or a similar looking knock off) that I only ever used with mono, 4 lb test. I absolutely loved that rod. If I were setting up an ultralight and not planning to use braid I would be after the minima guides simply because I don't believe that application can justify the price of the recoil guides.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.94.---)
Date: April 28, 2018 01:25AM

Kevin Althoff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My experience with the recoil guides is on a MH
> spinning rod with 15lb braid. It was a noisier rod
> than most but it wasn't unbearable. I also used
> to have a St. Croix Panfish series rod that had a
> minima lookiing guide (maybe somebody can verify
> if those rods used pac bay minimas or a similar
> looking knock off) that I only ever used with
> mono, 4 lb test. I absolutely loved that rod. If
> I were setting up an ultralight and not planning
> to use braid I would be after the minima guides
> simply because I don't believe that application
> can justify the price of the recoil guides.

Seems like braid and the Minima's are not a favorite combination , any reason why you prefer not to use braid with them ?

Date: April 28, 2018 05:20AM

I use braid exclusively with minima's on my walleye casting rod, But I don't use their tip tops, With Braid i always use a good tip top with Zirconium or alconite etc. Same thing when I Use American Tackle, AirWave guides I just use a good tip top, with a good insert. I would guess some of these rods have upwards of 3-5 thousand casts maybe more? I see No ware or tear at all on the other guides what so ever. I'v learned it's a waste of time putting the boat in the water after Post spawn, And in the Fall, when their on the feed bag right up next to the wall thats where all the bait fish are in our rivers here. When the water temp goes up, The boat goes in!

Posted by: Kevin Althoff (45.52.59.---)
Date: April 28, 2018 11:50AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems like braid and the Minima's are not a
> favorite combination , any reason why you prefer
> not to use braid with them ?

The benefits of minimas are that they are light and there is no ceramic ring to pop out or break. The pitfalls are that they are softer and not as slick as ceramic inserts, making them noisier and prone to grooving in some cases. Because of how small and light guides have become, as well as the layouts we use (relying on a 3 or 4 guide reduction train and using many smaller runners), weight is less of an issue than it used to be. Guides are also quite durable these days, but a rod I intended to beat up more than normal would be an application where I would go to a minima even with braided line. Given all that, the benefits from a performance standpoint that you get with a material like alconite or SiC start to outweigh what you get back.

Date: April 28, 2018 02:05PM

{Quote}Given all that, the benefits from a performance standpoint that you get with a material like alconite or SiC start to outweigh what you get back. But I'm just talking a {Tip Top} here, So you talking maybe a tenth or 2 of a gram more, Your not even going to notice it. Cheers Jaa

Date: April 28, 2018 02:05PM

{Quote,Given all that, the benefits from a performance standpoint that you get with a material like alconite or SiC start to outweigh what you get back.} But I'm just talking a {Tip Top} here, So you talking maybe a tenth or 2 of a gram more, Your not even going to notice it. Cheers Jaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 02:06PM by Jay Dubay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster